Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tranny Q ( PICS added)

Boney

Tractor (is stopped and running at idle (spelling) When I try to put it in any of the gears there is a grinding noise until I get it into gear then it is fine. If the throttle is at a higher speed the grinding is more noticeable. I have read the manual and I believe the clutch is adjusted correctly, but would not bet on it. The rear belt and pulleys seem to be turning just as fast with the clutch in or out. my question is--is there some adjustment that I can do to reduce the grinding noise when shifting? Thanks p.s I just changed the tranny and BGB oil.

If the rear belt and pulleys are turning with the clutch in then the clutch is not releasing for whatever reason. Adjust the clutch per the service manual instructions. Also make sure all the belt stops are present and adjusted correctly. If you do not have a service manual go to the Simplicity Publications site and down-load a manual.

When you have tractor running and in gear, What happens when you push in Clutch? Do pulleys stop turning ? Does tractor stop?

Herm it sounds like the belt stops for the clutch pulley are not adjusted right. The stops should be holding the beltso that when the clutch is pushed in the belt does not touch the front pulley. If the belt contacts the front pulley enough to allow it to turn the trans pulley the gears will grind. I had that problem on my 3012v till I got it all adjusted right.

[img]/club2/attach/boney/tranny 001.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/boney/Clutchin.jpg[/img] The first (left)pic is one of the Clutch out, The second is one of the clutch pedal all the way pressed. There is no change in speed of the back pully when I press in the clutch. Any help would be greatly appreciatted as to what I should do to help fix this. The motor was not running when I took the pics. Thnx Herm

Herm..I have close to the same problem with my landlord. Except on mine, the tranny will eventually stop turning. It takes a while, but it'll stop. I'm now in the habit of pressing in clutch and craning my neck to watch for the pulley to stop turning. I tried adjusting too. Try to keep your foot on the clutch for a while and see if it eventually slows down and stops.

No belt stops and wrong style pulley for the belt type. The belt is to large for the pulley. The belt does not set in the pulley rear deep enough. The rear pulley should be for a type HA belt and looks like a Type HC or 3L pulley.

Where can I learn about these "Belt Stops". I went looking and if I am looking at the correct thing the belt stop looks like a bent coat hanger. I tried to find the part number for them and can not. My parts guy has worked miricals in the past but without a part number I dont know. Yes the pully is the wrong one,,,didnt think that would make a difference but now that I think about it,,hmmmmmmmmm, I plan on changing to the smaller belt and pully which I have. Tomorrow I will go and see if I get get a belt and maybe a Belt Stop. The one on there is for the rototiller. And makes the tractor drive very slow. Thnx for all your help

The rear belt stops do look like a bent coat hanger -- but they are a thicker, stiffer wire. The one on the front is flat piece of metal, bent into about 2/3 of a circle, and holds the belt around more than halfway of the front pulley... Here's a pic of where the rear "belt stops or fingers" go, but I can't find a good pic of the front one, but you can see it on the front pulley. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/high-low/figure1.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Cannot tell from the picture but is the curved metal belt guard/stop on the front pulley at the BGB?
I didn't see it either Roy -- and that's why I answered the way I did. I don't have a good picture of one handy either... If there's one on there, it is rotated all the way around underneath the BGB drive pulley...

Roy, there is a small black guard on the front pully, If you look in the pic you can just see the top of it. Looks like I need to have a larger one there, Thnx for noticing that. Thank you all for you help/pics, worth a 1,000 words. Today I am going to try to install the smaller belt and pully and belt stops if I can find them, Will post the results here.

Well I went to order some parts for the 725 and the front "belt stop" is NLA. It seems as though mine was broken and I am short a bit of it. The mechanic showed me a drawing and said there are no wire belt stops on the drive of the 725, they are on the PTO side. I orderd 2 of the wire belt stops {$2.45/each} and will see what I can do upon there arrival. Maybe they can make up for the broken belt stop I have. Thnx for all the help guys :)