Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

14 Tractors and no parts

MPH

Was out discing the back 40 tonight with headlites on when I stopped in my tracks. Didn't take long to find I snapped my LL's drive belt. Looked through about 20 belts hangging on the wall, zippo, ahh,just brought home 2 B-10's and a B-1, well, one good belt outta the three except it has 8 inch pulley as does my 725, the B-1 has a 10 inch my Landlord has a 6 inch. Soo, LL sits out in the field for tonight, not up to changing pulleys in the dark.

I hate it when this happens. I've cut down on the # of tractors I have and w/ the local Simp. dealer such a jerk when it comes to these older tractors I've started trying to carrie some extra consumables like belts, pulleys and such that would other wise stop me. After all. Now that I've created such a local following, I don't want to let everyone down by letting someone see my tractors broke down.

quote:
Originally posted by dlcentral
I've got like 50 or so belts hanging around but do you think I have the right one when I need it? nope.
I know the feeling. Every time I deed a belt, and I'm not sure what size to get, I get one size smaller and one size bigger and the one in between. So far I have yet to return the two I don't need. So the pile of belts grows!:D Elon

Then, of course, there is breaking the obscure belt on the obscure tractor, knowing there was another one around because they are such an odd size, not finding it anywhere, calling everyone in 3 counties, making a 48 mile round trip to get it, only to find the one you wanted two days later in some place it shouldnt have been.

What you guys need is a good length of adjustable belt. :D:D Adjust it to the size you need, then replace it later and save it for the next time. [:0][:0]

Dan I remember seeing one on your B10 fork lift I used at the show last summer. Since then I wanted to get one. Just never did. Elon

Good news is, the pulley slid off the orange B-10 with a simple twist of a large screwdriver, the 6 inch came off the Landlord just as nice so was back in operation in no time. Jobs done and reseeded to some old rye seed. Sure slowed the LL down going to an 8 inch pulley.

Last Year I was on the last mow of the season I shredded the PTO belt on the landlord. Not knowing what to do at first, I went down to the neighbors and dug through his belt collection. Found a Maytag washing machine belt the worked fine. The only thing I couldn't do was raise the deck all the way up.

I just went through 50 belts I had in a pile here and threw away all the ones that had cracks and rounded edges. Still have about 30 left. Problem is I dont know what they were from. One of these days I might stumble onto some intelligence and start tagging them as I remove them from the machines...

Got a bunch of them in the garage myself. When I need one, the closest size I have is usually about an inch too short. Story of my life. LOL.

Boy am I happy that a lot of folks have the same problem I have finding the right belts from my (thier) pile. What nice I have a tractor supply 3 miles from the house. If they are open they more than likely have the right size. Ken