Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

affording the hobby

toad270

I buy or trade stuff and also get a little given to me The most i have spent on a tractor was $100 and I have 7 that run and 4 for parts.I also have 2 blower attachements 2 plows a tiller and other misc. things . All total I have probably $1500 total spent.

Over the years I have and do lawn mower repair/maintence. The real repair end if it is gone thanks to big box stores but I have a few that want annual maintence and that floats the hobby boat. Like Ron, I have stuff I don't need, but what the hey!!!

I don't smoke, drink very much...:D, have a boat or a fancy camper. So that is how I justify the hobby..... Besides, I have less in my whole fleet than my Dad has in his new Simplicity ZT mower.....:D

I buy what I can, when I can. I try not to go overboard with the spending. Becky supports my hobby, especially when it is small amounts that are spread out. When I have the right parts, then I put something usable together. None of my tractors were complete, or running, when I got them. This has forced me to learn a lot about these machines. Actually, I have never spent more than $260 for a single purchase related to my tractor hobby.

I have over the years supported my hobby by selling and swaping a few parts when I need to. Like most of the others I buy cheep tractors that need TLC and I go to the bone yard to fix them. The most expensive one I bought was my 3410 for $300 off junk row at the Power Shop in Fremont MI.

I buy cheap or get free non-simplicity mowers and repair and sell or strip and use the parts for repairs. I have more people looking for used machines than I can supply at the moment. I ,of course, have kept all Simplicities that have come my way, up to 7.

I try and buy tractors and attachments that need work for a little less money.Then fix and resell the items I don't need or want.The last tractor I sold was a 918H with 48"deck.Paid $300 for it,put $200 in it and sold it for $1800 plus a trade for a 516H.The 516H needed about $150 worth of parts and some TLC.The book price on a 516H is right at $1300. I think I'll be all right and keep my tractor funding rolling.

Like many of the others, I scrape,scratch,dig through junk piles and buy a few things when they are cheap enough. Suprisingly, working for a Simplicity dealer,I find very few of the oldies through work. So far I've picked up a couple of non Simp/AC items that were traded in(a generator and a JD 100). With the price of gas lately I've been using my play money for more serious things,but then again,I've got enough stuff sitting around to keep me busy all winter if I can just get out in the shop more often.

Buy sell and trade Lawn Equipment in my spare time. After whileit becomes a sport to try and get the stuff you keep for free or as close to free as possible. Generally buy tractor and implement packages and sell off what you dont want and end up having the one piece you do want for free. Also I run ads in the local shopper paper wanting junk tractors and gas power equipment. You would be amazed at what other people are willing to throw away:D For example, three weeks ago bought a real nice lookin 5216 5 speed with a bad engine and a great 36" deck( valve seat popped out)paid $125. Sold the engine out in parts and got back about $70. Last week picked up a Murray rider for free on my ad. It had a 14hp Briggs IC twin in it that works great. Dropped right ito the 5216 without any modifacations whatsoever. Also traded a 3.5hp self propelled snowblower that runs good ( free from my ad)to a guy for a pretty good 48" deck for the 5216. Bought a belt for the deck for $35. When I sell the 36" deck from the 5216 I'll have the 5216 in the garage for free and maybe even be a few bucks ahead.

Just bide my time and save the pennies for those rare lucky deals -fix 'em and trade up. It also helps to beg / bribe the wife a bit too........;)

Figure if I went over to the big box stores, I wouldn't have a dozer blade, mold plow, sicklebar, 48" deck, vacuum or rototiller for the $1000-2400 their machines cost. I cut an acre, vacuum it, til-it, plow the driveway all using a B112/3112H. I spent $1200 for a B112 w/siclebar and 48" deck and I spent $700 fixing up a 3112. Picked up a vacuum reasonably and been trading for the other attachments. I'm happy with the hobby and spending only what I'd be paying. Now collecting and plan on restoring a B10,Landlord and maybe a B12 or 725.

I know guys that play golf, $150.00 per month. Thats $1800.00 per year. Do they have anything in thier garage at the end of the year. Guess is's all in how we look at things. I'd rather have my 5 tractors to mess with plus attachments.

One of the "Joys" of Home Ownership is budgeting $ for Grass Cutting and Landscaping. And, don't forget Driveway Maintenence, with sub-class expense of Snow Removal. In my part of the USA, you'd be lucky to have these bugeted items done by a maintenence company for $100 per month. Of course, another Joy of Home Ownership is "Saving The Cost Of Labor", meaning the Home Owner uses his/her own sweat to keep the Budget Affordable. I saved a bundle of my budget by buying used Labor-Saving Equipment, a.k.a. SimpletrACtors. So, you see, I don't really Spend on my Addiction, I Save $ because of it! Tacey PS. This Spring, I actually sold a used Simplicity that was of newer vintage (approx 1997 Landlord). I bought an older, smaller Simplicity (approx 1970 Yeoman) 'cause the older ones use far less gasoline. Now that's a smart addiction.:D

I only have the one Putt Putt. Some day I would like to get another but for now I buy what I need for it and forget about the money,,,,,,thats what makes it a hobby for me. I am sure if I had several tractors like most of you lucky guys I would be doing things different,,,,,,oh no I am getting tractor envy again LOL LOL

To chime in on Tacey's reply, I had a 6216 (found it when looking for something else). It ran mint and I sold it. The only bad thing about it was that it was how much gas it used! My B112 uses so little gas compared to that 6216 and it's 12hp verses 16hp. I can cut the lawn in half the time and I only fill the tank every other week! At the price of gas, older is better than newer. My simplicity dealer once told me that the JD, like and Simplicity all got into this HP thing... well, heck I do more with my 12hp than these new JD's sold in the box stores. Fun hobby!

I sell on eBay or via other methods to support my addiction. Always constantly picking up something for resale. Though I am quickly running out of space and need to have a faster turnaround otherwise soon it is going to be piled sky high.[:0] Money from eBay sales also bought me a nice 60 gallon air compressor & pressurized sandblaster. Like Tacey, Lawn maintenance also pays for it self. We have been quoted $50.00 to $75.00 a cut for 3/4 of an acre just because there are so many obstacles to cut around, (trees & rocks plus having an odd house placement on our lot.)