Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

affording the hobby

toad270

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
how much do you charge for an average size yard in town?
Was that quoted for me? If so, Those prices we got from a few lawn maintenance company's if we decided to use them. I do however cut about 1-1/2 acres here for someone and charge him $35.00 a cut. He has very little obstructions and I use his mower & gas. I also cut one neighbor who has a very tiny lawn that's just under 1300 SF. I cut that with a walkbehind, charge $10.00 because it takes 5 minutes, plus they give me coffee.

After the bills are paid, whatever's left usually goes into something. It started out years ago as an occasional thing repairing something for someone. Had to put the power mechanics training in high school to use somehow. Then snowballed from there. 26 machines in my 20x80 yard. Some run, some sort term fixes, some long term restos. I only have the summer months to work out in the carport but yearlong I track down parts. The idea was to fix them and sell them but I tend to get too attached. I have sold two for a profit but thats as far as it got. Most I paid less than $50 for except the Panzer. Hope to dump some of the lessers off in the spring to fund the good stuff. But I say that every year. I have a bad habit of backyard weed shopping from the road out all day in the truck. "If its in the weeds......." Fortunately, my wife supports my addiction and that makes it easier to live here. She hates 2 strokes too -

This hobbys really been catching up with me now that I started the B10 restore. It may be my first and last restore. Too expensive to do it right. I hoped to sell my Sears tractors but so far no luck, all anyone wants are my AC's. Up to this point I had been paying for new projects through parts sales, but lately those funds have run dry. So I am going to think long and hard before allowing myself to acquire more.