Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dlcentral

Lawnmower Racing,,

dlcentral
It's amazing how fast these things go! like up to 80 mph! ours does about 45,our 1st foray into this didn't go to well,,my son was running for 2nd[the 1st loser pos.!] when he hit a lapped tractor's wheel, and flipped! he's ok just a sore ankle,bent steer wheel is all.But he did get a good write up on local news website. here it is!;http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/lawntrac_race-26Aug05.htm he is on the right, the silver sears,:o)

dlcentral
They have a 3 inch pulley on the trans and a 4 or 5 inch on the motor and have removed all idlers they have the belt jack-[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored.gif[/img] tight! they just shove it in gear and then shift the 5 spd up thru gears to go faster!the motor is 11 hp briggs stock,we cleaned carb and put a new magnerton on it thats it, it works great!,they also still kept the brake to stop it!,

dlcentral
No,, their's is just a front eng tractor with 1 belt to drive the stock trans thats it,Some guys use the type system that you do,but ours doesn't,some guys take out the pancake type stock trans,put a go kart live axle in,with disc brake, and drive it off a small rear eng rider trans.Then you have option of changing all kinds of gear ratios with sprockets and belt pulleys, etc..but thats considered experimental X/P[modified] class ours is S/P stock class,

Jovee
The ones at our local track get about 40-45 also using the 5" and 3" pulleys on a straight belt. Hoping to modify my 11hp monster truck that way. Had a chance to buy a ready to race chassis for $150 and after a month of pleading the case the wife said ok. But theres always a catch to that kind of answer. I havent bought it yet. Very afraid now. Have fun with it Dave!

Looks fun. I'd want to widen the wheels on the axles to improve the stability.