Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fram Oil Filters

lmoret

Not disagreeing with Maynard, Are you sure it's leaking at the filter? Could it be the sending unit or the filter base gasket? JP PS FRAM is not my first choice either!

Do you have the little catch tray to prevent oil from draining down on the engine when changing the filter? Also make sure the drain tube is not plugged and that oil did not overflow the tray. If any oil did get on the engine it will be blown around by the flywheel fan.

Oil Filters for Onan CCKB 19.5 HP Part Number: 85516, Car Quest, manufactured by WIX Part Number: 51516, WIX Part Number: B243, Baldwin Simplicity 4041, PowerMax, AC 720 Transmission filters: Part Number: 51307, WIX Part Number: 85307*, Car Quest Part Number: 1307*, NAPA, Part Number: B163, Baldwin *Above manufactured by WIX. Onan's air filter equivalent: Part Number: PA2347, Baldwin

When you took the old filter off, did you remove old gasket at same time? Often the rubber gasket will stick to block, and when you put new filter on with its new gasket the two gaskets fail to seal properly. Showed my kids(4) when teaching them how to change their own oil. And it has stuck in their minds. One was changing oil with her boy friend, and when he handed her the old filter, the first thing she noticed was gasket missing. I do not use Fram, but think leak is not Fram's fault.

Have used Fram PH-8 on my MoPars since 1970. Never had one leak, never put under 200,000 miles on any of them. If I changed brands now I'd haveta learn a new number.;[

Check out this site for some interesting analysis of oil and filters. I see it a lot like the Chevy VS Ford VS Dodge debate as personal preference and experience will determine a choice. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ Best of luck with your leak. Rick

I personally wouldn't use a Fram filter on my bicycle! I have taken them apart before..after several thousand miles, the paper is still clean, but my oil is dirty. Seems there is little or no flow in the filter. NAPA or Baldwin are both good filters, when not using original equipment.

• 1 month later...
I will second the recommendation about www.bobistheoilguy.com They have a lot of useful information on that site about oil and filters. In my opinion, don't use a fram filter on ANYTHING if you don't have to!

I use Napa now. No problems. Used to use Frams on all my Tractor applications including Hydrostatic trannys. Usd to work OK till they improved them and added the Black hand grips. Now they are too restrictive. The hydro trannys wouldnt work because of the lack of oil flow. Switched to NAPA and had no more troubles. I even bought a 7018 Simplciity that supposedly had a bad tranny. Got it home and they had a fram filter on the tranny. That again was the problem.