Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric fuel pump

Floydster

Hi all, been awhile since I posted, just getting back to working on my tractors. About 5 years ago I installed a electric fuel my on one of my 620's and it has been working great. This is on my loader tractor. Well, I want to get my other 620 ready for winter plowing and wanted to change over to an elecrtic pump also. I sure ran into a problem on this one, I got a Purolator PRO 04SV pump 1.5-4 psi. I installed it the same way as I did on the other 620 with pulling power from the + side of the coil. When I turned it on all was fine, started right up but ran for about a minute and shut down. I used all clear fuel line so I could see how the fuel was going. It seemed to lose the prime on the pickup line from the tank when running. Man I tried everything you can imagine, and I finally fried the pump. I know I had it hooked up right. The older Purolator pump has a metal body, this one is all plastic, am at my wits end, any help sure would be apprecitaed. Floydster

Yup, made sure of that, even reversed it just to see what would happen. I put a separate line in the tank to the pump, thinking maybe my pickup line had a problem, but it was the same. This one really is doing a number on me. Thanks Floyd

Well, I also thought BAD PUMP, this was the second one from Checker Auto, the first one did the same thing, only I didn't screw around long enough with it to burn it out, I took it back and got another one and this is what happened---- I'm at a loss. i have had these tractors for over 25 years, so I have some knowledge on them. Thanks for any input, I'm still learning!!!!! Floydster

First check vent in gas cap then try the one off from your other tractor. Still say bad pump. It wouldn't be the first time with 2 bad parts in a row. I have had it happen a few times in 30 years of business.

would also leave discharge line off the carb, let it go back into tank. Is the clear line collasping? I believe Maynard is on right track with gas cap.

Thanks guys for the response, I tried the gas cap from my other 620, still the same thing, the tank is getting air. Both pumps just quit pumping after the engine was running for about 8 or 10 seconds. If I just let the pump run it would pump fuel back from the return line into the tank just fine. Both pumps bad???? I'm going to try a different pump when I get back from fishing Canada. I'll let you know what I come up with then. The engine ran fine with the old mech. pump, but was getting a little hard to start. Thanks again, Floydster

what is the voltage to the pump? if it is dropping to 6-8V while running it may not run the pump, you may have to pick up your B+ @ ignition switch rather than coil. Also, these small pumps do not like dirt, they need a filter on their input such as a NAPA 3007. Don