Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Sun Star - 20hp Kohlar

imlarry

As my tractor has aged (I bought it new in 1987) I have had to continually adjust the electric clutch to a closer setting. My book says .018" but I have been recently using .012". (It won't engage if I set to .018") It is now operating only when it the engine is warm. Should I adjust it to .010" or am I seeing the last of the electric clutch's working life? What do you think? What, if anything needs replacement? The electric magnet part still works.

First off let me say I have never adjusted clutch although I have had them on some vertical shaft machines. But after reading Al Eden's post on the damage to the motor from a defective clutch. I think I would get a new improved version. It has served you fairly well for almost 20 years.

Hi, I would check the current the clutch draws and after the clutch has been on for 30 minutes or so would unplug the clutch and do a continutiy check to ground. There should be no leakage to ground. If these tests are OK I would then set the clutch When they get a lot of miles on them the rotor gets grooves in it with high spots where the cooling slots are. When you put a feeler guage in the slot across them it is like measuring from hill top to hill top and the valleys get ignored. If you just put the guage in about 1/4 inch and set it at 010 to 012 this will get your gap to a fairly accurate situation. Al Eden

Al, Thanks for the reply.. So, if, after 30 minutes, the tests show a constant current, and there is no continuity leakage to ground when disconnected, I should try the .010" clutch clearance setting and see if it then works when cold? Is the rotor separate from clutch? If so, can I just replace it? What do you see as risks of not purchasing new clutch?

If the clutch passes the above current and leakage tests, you should be safe. Also check the bearings and see if they are "smooth". If you reset it, it should work OK. Warner has discontinued selling replacement parts for many of these clutches. The reason is there have been minor improvements and as a result there are incompatability issues related to when they were built. Most of these clutches we used to be able to get the individual pieces, now it is very few. When I discussed with one of my friends at Simplicity this what told me, and that this is why they can no longer get many of the piece parts. Al Eden