Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tire repair

TimJr

I was wondering about any tricks or info anyone might have on putting a "boot" or "flap" into an old tire. I came across a set of old 6 - 12 BF Goodrich Silvertown ag tires. These would look very cool on my project 9hp Landlord. They have been outside for some years, and look like they sat flat on a machine at one time. The sidewalls are pretty cracked, to the point I think a tube would blow out of it. Has anyone put a boot or liner in a tire that small? I have heard of it on large tractor tires, or on old military stuff with the split rims. These tires are easily 40 years old, and are probably pretty delicate, but the tread is so neat! I thought about maybe cutting up an inner tube, laying it in the tire, then installing a good tube, but I don't know if that will be enough to keep the tube from tying to squeeze out the cracks. Sorry no pic - I just happened upon them without my camera. Tim

I think you can get some life out of them if you don't use too much air pressure. I'd see if there were any thicker harder rubber you might use inside the tire to act as a washer and help distribute the weight. The inner tube will give a lot like the tube holding air so it may not help the side wall from blowing out.

I've never tried it, but maybe you could reinforce the roofing cement with roofing paper, fibreglass, "ice & snow" rubber roofing roll used for roof edges under shingles, rubber liners for small garden pools, or even parts of an old tarp. If you experiment, let us know what works and what doesn't.

I still have a couple of tire dealers/repair shops around that I haven't tried yet. I thought about the foam filling - I assume that can be done on a tubed tire. If I decide to buy them and try a repair, I'll post pics - they just look cool. Tim

I agree with Dave's advice as an old tire buster. Follow up on his suggestion for heavier rubber like the tire flaps used with tubes in the truck split rim applications. The flap material is thicker up to 1/4 inch or so. Would recommend ones designed for radial tires as they are more flexible. They come in variety from 5 inch to 10 inch wide or better. Some shops may have stock of used ones - most new tires came with new flaps. As for the foam fill, tube or tubeless can be done. When the tires wear out it must be cut off the rim and tubes make it easier. The pressure the material is filled to is the same as normal air pressure. Difference may be in the compound mix used - we had two depending on application - one was softer than the other.

Boy we've came a long way baby. I remember back in the 40's haveing dad put boots in all the car tire to keep them going. Now we just buy new ones. Good luck .