Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How about a "Grasshopper" ?

KohlerMan

(Simplicity owners, please don't take offence, I am just trying to gain knowledge about grasshoppers!^) I am going into the mowing business, and am looking at a zero-turn. Anyone ever heard of Grasshopper mowers? It has a shaft-driven 3-blade 58" deck, and a two cylinder 18 hp Kohler engine (needs a rebuild). The mower itself looks a little rough, but it still has a lot of life left in it. The hydro pump and motors look good (It was a great running mower until the engine started smoking). It is about a 7-year old model, seat is bad, tires look good, but it will need some work. The quoted price was $1,000 but I talked him down to $600. Any opinions? Any feedback would be great! Thanks^, KohlerMan}:)

I ran my dad's for years a 718. Mowed a 3 Acre Cemetary with it for 3 years. Very solid, it has a 52" deck and if I could not trim with the edge of deck you could not get a push mower into that space. We soon just mowed the the 'hopper and a string trimmer, the Allis would come of retirement to help on the open areas. Dad's is 18 years old or about, he has had trouble with the briggs but the tractor is still solid. It would be worth replacing the second engine to keep it running. Once you trim with it it is hard to get back on a traditional tractor. I would have one but just it is not as flexible as Simple tractor. My dad always compares it to a skid loader, and enjoys running both. The hydro's have never been a problem. Lastly I found it did take a couple of hours off mowing an acre vs. the Allis with a 48" mower. You can turn so quick and spend more time mowing and not turning. One warning do not turn by only using 1 wheel. Always use both either 1 forward, 1 reverse, or one just slower than the other. You can make turn marks where you spun on one wheel.

Hi, They are very high quality mowers. We sell them. They are nearly indestructable. New they go with 2 yr warranty even to commercial cutters, as do the 100 and 200 series Gravely and the Simplicity Legacy. The biggest problem we have with them is the cost. I have 2 in stock, one is Kubota diesel powered with a 61" electric tip up deck and the list is 14,300. The initial cost is high, but the cost can be amortized through the long life they provide. If the unit doesn't have the traction booster, put it on. What 18 does it have? If it is an M series, short blocks and parts are available, but a complete engine is NLA. If it is a 618 and has a TH Kohler, I would forget about fixing that engine. There is a Kit from Grasshopper to put in a Command, but it takes some cutting. I would look at a Briggs Vangard because it was used in the 718 and has the same crank height as the TH. Again they are good mowers. The newer series are significantly better than the older series with the Eaton hydros and chain drives. Good luck, Al Eden