Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ignition help please!!!!

doogie_ac61358

Having trouble with the ignition on a 917 hydro with a hydraulic lift. There are no wires bared and grounding. The circuit breaker keeps going out, I initially replaced one that had gone out. I cranked it twice, it started, I shut it down because I had the hydro disengaged to push it. When I tried to start it up again it wouldn't crank at all. This leads me to believe that the circuit breaker keeps blowing. Any ideas what could keep causing this?

Have you checked to make sure that the connections going to the ammeter are tight? I have had problems with not cranking when the lead going to ammeter is loose.

The trouble may still be the circut breaker. The easiest way is to use a test light to trace where you have or don't have power. You can also disconect wires or components in order to elliminate where the problem is. BTW, I had a safety switch on a powermax that was actualy shorted and would only trip the breaker when you hit the starter.

On a 917 you need a 22NF or a 51R battery. If you use one of the standard size lawn and garden batteries, then do not have enough power to crank these engines when they get a year or so old. Had lots of trouble with this on the 61 Wards with the 14 Kohler. It doesn't have room for the larger battery. The smaller ones will only crank that engine when they are relatively new and have been fully charged. Had this same problem on the AC 716H and AC713S till I went to 51R batteries in them. No starting problems at all since then. By-the-way, I am not really recommending it to anyone, but I do not run circuit breakers in my tractors. Only fuze I run is in the light circuit. I don't have any electric lifts or clutches, which I would also fuze. No fuzes in the starting or charging circuits on mine. Maybe I am asking for trouble, but I can at least find a short, by tracing the burned up wire. This is "my way", I didn't say that it is the "right way".

Got it fixed tonight, it was a loose wire on the ammeter. Does anyone know where I can get new pigtails to keep on standby? The ones I am looking for are the ones that go on the back of the ammeter and on the circuit breaker. The one I "fixed" looks a little rusted and like its missing some of the material. Any ideas on that? Thanks for your help again guys and gals.

I keep wire terminals (rings & open spades) on hand so I can make a new pigtail/wire ass'y when needed. All it takes is an assortment of terminals, some wire of the correct gauge, and pair of crimping pliers.