Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best snowblower to fit to a Landlord 101?

Alpha8D

I'm a new member. Joe homeowner. Old geezer, (57) I have a Landlord 101 1966 #990350 10 hp. 3 speed manual. Named it "Rusty". First tractor I've owned in 20 years, (had a former love affair with a Farmall Cub but lost it when moved to city and started making babies.) Bought Rusty from a dealer in used tractors, (Simplicity mostly) for $470. Runs good and I was happy. Came with 42" deck and mows well. Then....saw a Soverign 12hp about same year for $50 at a garage sale. Had a great 42" deck with new blades, belts and good spindle bearings. Engine ran, just barely, blew blue smoke out the blown headgasket. Right angle gearbox box was shot too. But...what the hey, for $50 bucks why not. Paid and named it "Buster" because it was busted. Wifey says no room. So I completely disassembled it. Saved anything that would potentially fit "Rusty". Now Rusty has Buster's rear wheels and front axle and wheels. It's a squeeze to get the 42" deck under but not bad. So here's the questions: A) Should I bother to rebuild the 12HP Briggs with it's fancy counterweight system to cut vibrations and can I transplant to Rusty or will it be rejected on the operating table? B) I have access to several Simplicity snow blowers for about $100 each, take my pick. But which one? The original 36" looks like it would clog up in that goofy tapered fron umpeller area. If I chose a slightly newer wider one, (I'll supply pics in a day or two) could I fit it up with a little weld and fab and would Rusty's 10 hp handle it?

The 12 Briggs is a great engine. It has several improvements internally and will not be a problem to rebiuld. Parts are comon and resonable. If there is one thing that never changes it's that more power is good. So if you have the chance, put the 12 in rusty and roll on. As for the blower, you'll be glad you had the extra power if you go with the wider snowblower. These things eat HP like crazy if you really push em. I would go with the wider one, if it's the same money. BTW, welcome to the club.

Sounds like alot of fun with those two tractors. I've got the same model 101 with the 36" snowblower. I just got my snowblower over the summer, looking forward to snow... Does your guy with multiple snowblowers also have multiple hitches for these things? I need a hitch for mine to work properly. Perhaps you coule e-mail me with his phone number and he and I could discuss what i'm looking for... Thanks

Have never had my 36 inch pluh up beecause of the funnel shape but it's hard to slice off a snow berm with them as it sucks your front end in deeper. Haven't blown snow with a 10 or 12 horse yet but there's a big dif between using my 725, 71.2hp and the B-112 with a very tired 16hp in it. I say rebuild the 12 and go with the 42 inch blower. welcome to the club, you found a good place to hang out

Changing engines on these tractors is not a major problem. I currently have a 14 Hp Kohler in my 61 Wards, that came with a 7 Hp B/S. I have also, at various times, had a 10 Hp B/S and a 12 Hp Kohler from a Cub Cadet on that same tractor. To me, changing engines is usually easy. Most times it can be easily done in one day. Once in a while you may run into a problem, but they are usually easy to work around. I have three operating tractors at the moment, and none of them have the same size or even brand name engine that they came from the factory with. I'd go with the 12 Hp. I think it carries the same numbers as the 13 Hp that I have on one of mine. I can say for a fact that there is a very noticeable difference between a 12 and a 10. I have the 13 and a 10, with both of them getting new rings within the past couple of years, so they are fresh. Big difference in load pulling power. My advice on the blowers is to take the one that you like the best. In my experience, if you don't then you will always worry about the one that you let get away. I have a few of those ghosts that still bug me. As far as hooking it up, nearly any of the blowers can be hooked to any of the tractors. I have a 36 inch blower from a Sears Suburban that hooks up to my AC716H. I made the hitch and belt drive system, but it seems to work fine. Haven't had any deep snow to try it out in, since I got it set up. There was also a previous member who had a Kubota blower hooked up to one of his Simplicity tractors. As you probably guessed, these "other brand" blowers are a "little" more difficult to hook up than a factory Simplicity or AC blower would be. You are only a couple years older than me, so you can call on this young "whipper-snapper" if you need some help. I may not know the answer, but I probably know someone who does.

WOW! What a great club! I'd never have guessed anyone else was nuts about these little tractors. Must confess I mow around the neighbor's cottage and the church lawn, (about 3 acres) just to get more tractor time. pleco01, the blowers are in a heap. I'll get pics next week. They're in Harrisville WI at a farm machinery boneyard that covers about 40 acres. I'll post the pics to get help making sure I get what's supposed to go with the one I choose. I'll get his name and phone but I doubt he ships. Place is affectionately called Tinks Treasure Island by the locals. MPH, thanks for the tip about a 36" wanting to pull into drift, hadn't thought about that but I can picture exactly what you mean. I'll likely choose a 42" and put a smaller pulley on the tranny for winter and just go slow. Wheels are turf tread, driveway is part cement, part hard packed gravel. Am looking for chains and will fill wheels with washer fluid soon as winter stuff in available at discount stores. HubbardRA, that's encouraging regards the 12hp fitting the Landlord. Again, I never rebuilt one so will disassemble and ask advice when I start to go shack wacky about Feb. and get around to rebuilding it. Thanks for the great advice gentlemen!! Alpha8D