Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Eyesight Test

Jovee

I brought this home last night. I spotted it at about 150yrds in a field along a desolate road. Yard shopping again. I got somewhat excited. I found the owner and she said to just take it. It has many issues. The picture is in my small and cluttered yard at about 40ft distance. Take a guess at what model it actually is. Was it a disappointment or is it something that no matter how much money it takes, it will run again? I have a closeup that will answer the question but not yet.

I'd say a Wheel Hourse with the chrome muffler. Looks to have a right side discharge deck but that could be from scratches and scraps. That wouldn't be a Lomb. diesel would it??

I'm going to guess, Simplicity, AC, Wards, Deutz, or Homelight, Wheelhorse, Gilson, JD, or a Jacobson, Massey, Ford, Cub, Bolens, or a MTD.............did I miss any??? I like to cover all my bases:o)[ Elon

Elon, you've nailed it on the head :D:D Not a diesel and not a 4cyl - The faded orange and hubcaps caught my eye but not as much as the bugeye headlights did -

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Elon, that's like mowing the yard with weed killer ain't it? lol
What ever works, right? lol Elon

Heres the rest. From the distance I saw it I had happy visions of my very own 101 LL. Maybe even a Broadmoor older than the 3 I have. Free free free. Well, after I got the greenlight to take it I walked up into the field to see what the new prize was. The closer I got the more disappointed I got. Almost left it there but the folks were very nice about it. Chris727 actually got it. Its a 1970 Gilson S-14

The engine is a Briggs 14 and is beyond repair. I figured I would pirate some parts and sell off the rest of the useable stuff. Its supposed to have a good hydro and electric lift. But the more I look at it I think I can save it. What would you do?

I picked up a Gilson G16 a year or so ago. I robbed the 16hp briggs off it and have been trying to sell it ever since. Mine has the tiller and a rear discharge deck. I think you got a good deal for the price. Almost anything is worth having for free.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I think if you put some of those hub caps behind it on it then you'd be almost restored.lol
Do ya need any? ;)

Being a Gilson not sure it's worth saving or else your pretty sure you can sell it. Have a 71 14hp wards I've yet to do anything with. If you part it out I'd be interested in the fan that goes on the hydro.

I will keep you in mind Marty. I will give it the winter to figure out the fate of a few. Too late in the year to start any major projects. About a month of decent weather left here - Joe

If you fix it look at the frame on each side where it widens out at the engine. They commonly crack and break there on each side.