Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late Simp ID

JoeK

Saw a fairly late looking Simp sitting at a house w/a sign"for sale $1000,as is,with mower,power bagger,snowblower.Been back 4 times to find no one home.Tractor/deck,bagger is ext clean,looks to be well cared for.NO model ID,only"16hp,hydrostatic" on hood doglegs.No model no/name or mfg sticker found...square hood with square headlamps.no hood "latches" seen,but hood does not "want" to open.Have not been able to match it w/anything on this sight so far.?

Joe, the identification plate should be on the frame just above the left running board, probably right beside the PTO lever. Good looking tractor! 8D

HI, I am 99.99% sure that is a 16GTH, assume a 42" mower. Probably a 1691766 built from 1989 to 1992. They also built a 17 GTH with an MV17 Kohler. The ones built from 1991 to 1994 had 16 Vangards in them. They were a Garden Tractor and would take the 30" tiller. The drive was a night mare to put on and off. It is easy to confuse the tractors of this period. From 1990 to 1992, the GTHL tractor was built. These years we had the GTH, this tractor and the GTHL that was essentially a 7117H with the L indicating hydraulic lift. I HATED this letter mess and begged the factory to go back to numbers. Al Eden

Kent, The 5200s were lawn tractors, and used the eaton 600 hydros. The 6500 and the GTHs had the Eaton 850 hydro and would run tillers. I also agree it is a 6500, because as a GTH it should have a Vangard instead of a 400 family twin. The 5200s were called Lawn tractors by Simplicity because they would not run in ground attachments and the 6200, 6500, and GTHs wer sold as Garden Tractors. They are broken out that way in Part Smart also. The frames are very similar and I believe they used the same hard tooling to stamp them in the initial forming. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by Al
The frames are very similar and I believe they used the same hard tooling to stamp them in the initial forming. Al Eden
I guess that's what was causing my confusion -- essentially the same sheet metal, but different transmission and other things not so obvious from pictures. Other than his having an electric lift (instead of manual) it appears very similar....

Thanx,tractor is now at local hardware store(commission sale) for $999 including single stage snowblower.Owner may also have snowblade for xtra $.It is a 16hp Briggs twin,and store adv it is a 9?, Model 6?16,(mower guy was gone)and it has 174 hrs on the clock.Gotta give all this some thought ^

The body style looks like my 6216,but different hood color and the hydro.You have to pull out on the bottom rear corners of the hood to open.It has a lip on the hood that snaps under the plastic around the gas tank to keep it shut.Mine has a 48" deck and it is my favorite to mow with.I have a snowblower also,It is nice for a smaller drive,but doesn't compare to my 7016 and blower.Take it for a test ride before you make your decision.