Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which brand of spray paint should I use?

Mr.PhixIt

Hi guys, I am going to repaint a Yeoman 637. And I am going to use spray can paint. Which brand and color is the closest match for my tractor? Thanks, MrPhixIt

Every Simplicity I have repainted, I have used ACE Hardware brand machine and implament paint. It's not the best, but they have Allis Chalmers Orange. The can states that you can use a sprey gun, but I have not tryed that yet. The have them is "rattle" cans, and quarts, and gallons. I just look at the price of a gallon, $25. I do not remember what the others cost. What I can tell you is that it is think but does tend to chip easy, unless you give it a couple of weeks to fully dry. But if you just want your tractor to look better when you mow, then it's just fine. I wouldn't recomend it for a show restore job. Elon

Good evening, New guy here..... just finished completely going through my 1965 Simplicity Landlord. When it came time to paint I looked at a lot of paint colors. I would have liked to paint it with a spray gun... but I'm not that good with one yet. So I opted for the spray can route. I used the under-side of the hood where the paint still looked good to do the testing of colors. Now of course we all know that the paint has faded some, but how much it has faded I don't know. All I know is that I only had one place on the tractor to try the paint match game. After testing MY tractor paint, here's the brand and color I found to match the best. " Van Sickle" brand ;" Gloss J.I. Case Flambeau red "for the color. It is a Tractor, equipment and Industrial enamel with rust arrestor. I tried the gloss A.C. orange and it was a little to orange for my paint that was already on the tractor. After priming everything I applied two coats of paint, let dry for a few days, wet sanded and applied the last coat of paint. I let all the paint cure for 10 days, then reassembled the tractor. I am very happy with the results. The paint goes on thick,does not want to run at all and comes out very durable with a high gloss look. And as soon as my ten dollars (cheap) gets sent in I will post some pictures of my pride and joy. Mike

If you do a search on this topic you will find loads of info...Last time I seen it posted most all the votes went to Plasti-cote brand Chevy engine enamel Red-Orange..I think the number was 1624..I redid my Broadmoor 717 with it and it seems to be the best I have found in a spray can..

Walmart,Meijers,Kmart, Auto Zone and most any other auto parts store I would think would have it..I will look in the morning at my can in the shop to get the number off it..I bought mine at Meijer and there was two different Chevy orange engine paints there, but only one said red/orange..

I haveused simplicity oarange and plasti coat engine chevy oarangeThey both look nice,but the plasticoat paint seems to be holding up better and is a lot cheaper than simplicity paint. So i would go to any parts store or fleet farm and buy some and try it .I think you will be happy with the results.....

I have used Duplicolor Chevrolet orange-red engine enamel and have been very happy with the results. I used Van Sickle once and found it sprayed nicely but I wasn't happy with the finish, I would get spots that looked thin even after a 3rd coat. Gloss was ok, but I still prefer the duplicolor. I haven't tried plasti-kote.

• 2 weeks later...
Duplicolor is better to work with than plasti-cote. The fan spray is covers better, the area covered is larger,and the trigger is easier to control with excellent feel.

Billy, I just finished restoring a '64 Landlord and I used Duplicolor engine enamel in spray cans. I was very happy with the results. It's available at wal-mart and Advance Auto. # DE-1607 Chevy Red-Orange. Good Luck..........