Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 brake repairs

wilm169

I have read the repair book and they say you have to take every thing appart (wheel drop box axel housing ):(! my question is can or will it come appart without taking so much appart like just unbolting it at the frame and sliding it out?:)

You have to unbolt the hitch, remove the fenders, unhook the linkage rods, remove the entire drop housing as one piece, and if I remember right you have to remove the rest of the bolts holding in the rear end in the frame so you can slide it rearward a few inches. This will allow you to remove the brake actuaters freely and get to the bearing plates that hold the rear shaft seals that leak. I wouldn't go to the trouble of tearing into it unless I were going to replace the oil seals and the O-rings on the bearing plates. It's not that big of a deal if your prepared and know what's required up front. It won't be a 30 minuet job.lol

These brake disks normally do not wear out. Most likely they are oil soaked due to a defective oil seal. I replaced my seals on both sides and used brake clean on the disks and adjusted the brake rods. All is ok now.

Levi, I would suggest removing the axle extension before you try to put everything back together. The whole axle assy would be too bulky to work with. It will make it easier to install the axle through the o-ring and you will be less likely to damage it. The other thing you will want to do is clean up the brake actuator assy real good and make sure it pivots on the ball bearings that are in there. There are two springs that hold the actuator plates together. Sometimes they are broke. Simplicity still had them when I worked on mine. Also spray some graphite powder on the actuator bearings to help keep them working freely. As Mike had mentioned, the brake pads typicaly don't wear out on these thing's, they get oil soaked from he axle seal going bad. Brake clean should remove the oil from the brake disks. And as Dave had mentioned, it is necessary to replace the axle seal along with the carrier seal. With the brake system working properly on these tractors, they should lock the wheel when pressure is applied to the brake pedal. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Just took my 4041 apart today for this. Waiting for new seals and o-rings to arrive. Drain the transmission oil before you pull the bearing support castings or you will have oil all over the floor.