Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gray Market Tractors

Well, maybe gray market isn't the correct term but that's what was used often to describe the reconditioned compact tractors from overseas that came to my attention when shopping for a GT. There are plently of reconditioned Yanmars,Mitsubishis,etc. around. An earlier post about retiring old tractors for the sake of air quality reminded me of them and what was explained to me as to why so many of the overseas (gray market) tractors are now appearing here in the US. The short version points directly to the Kyoto protocol and the goal by many nations to get rid of gross emitters of green house gasses. Apparently, as further explained to me, Japan especially has taken the initiative to mandate retirement of some or all tractors after a certain age or hours of use. Rather than destroy the retired tractors or modify them to burn cleaner, many are now showing new life here in the US after some refurbishment. 'nuff said about the background. I'm curious what you guys think about these tractors and the potential that something similar might happen here. In other words, what would you guys think about the tractor police coming to your door and hauling off your gross polluter? Kiddin' of course but the government could offer some attractive incentives to help you decide to crush your GT. It's already happening with autos and lawn mowers if not others.

What should be done is require a certain min. square footage of garden and lawn to use one for those purposes. The problem is, I think, that L+GT's have become status symbols of sorts, with Mr. Jones buying a 22 hp JD to out do neigbor Smith, who just bought a 20 h.p Husky with triple bagger to mow his flat 1/2 acre. Of course, exceptions should be made for collectors since they don't run them on a regular, sustained basis. But every suburban crackerbox garage having these outfits that are better suited for small 2-5 acre homesteads is getting ridiculous.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
...But every suburban crackerbox garage having these outfits that are better suited for small 2-5 acre homesteads is getting ridiculous.
Along with the large pickup or SUV that they use for commuting to and from work?
quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
...Of course, exceptions should be made for collectors since they don't run them on a regular, sustained basis...
But back to tractors, which brings me to another question that I had indirectly related to gray market tractors. Where would the hobby be if the government, state and/or federal, bought back old GTs for, let's say $750 each with pickup?. Faced with a costly repair, an owner of one might seriously consider trading the problem for one of those shiny green machines at the local box store. The government would probably only have to do this buy back once because of the disposable quality of the newer machines.

$750 each with pickup? Hmmm times 14 + 10,500 dollars. Better haul home a few more, don't think 10 grand would replace the work-ablity of my present tractors.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
$750 each with pickup? Hmmm times 14 + 10,500 dollars. Better haul home a few more, don't think 10 grand would replace the work-ablity of my present tractors.
I think you're missing the point. The effort wouldn't be directed to you personally but to a segment of the population that the government sees as a specific source of pollution. How long would you keep your 14 tractors if the source of spare parts almost completely evaporates because of the large number of tractors already turned in by others? Of course, there are more direct methods that the government can employ to get rid of gross polluters. California constantly entertains legislation that proposes to ban vehicles after a certain age, hobby or not.

I think the government better have a lot more to do than come down on lawn and garden equipment for pollution problems. If its a way to eliminate the box store junk thats fine and dandy. People may someday wise up and go back to the older stuff because it lasts. Most older stuff doesnt have the hour meters and with a flick of a screwdriver or grinder on the ID tag, suddenly my 69s a 99 model. But leave it to a politician or treehugger start that ball rolling and who knows. Theyve hurt the farming industry enough, why stop now. If the tractor population were anywhere near the auto population maybe I'd worry. But I have yet to sit in a 5 mile 3 lane backup full of Deeres, Cubs and ACs. $750 a pop would be tempting for some of my yard. I could sell half of them and buy a bigger yard. Then restock it -lol

That same law is why "we" can buy used engines from Japan for those imported cars. They only allow so many miles on an engine then they have to be replaced.

quote:
Originally posted by Jovee
I think the government better have a lot more to do than come down on lawn and garden equipment for pollution problems.
Think so? Last year, Cali introduced legislation that pets riding in cars must be restrained with some sort of safetey harness device like a seat belt, and pets don't even vote (Though by the looks of Cali, there is probably a lawmaker or two who want to change that too:D). If the government did do that, I suppose these tractors would be museum pieces, after the home-machined rods and homemade head gaskets failed. "If the government outlaws tractors, only outlaws will have tractors." "They can have my tractor when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel." "Tractors don't kill people, People kill people." "Nothing smokes like a Deere."

California's been crushing "gross polluting" cars for decades. Thankfully, car magazines frequently not only save some of these, (Car Craft's Crusher Camaro comes to mind), but are able to surpass the pollution regulations for that year car! So, who's polluting, the guy with the restored antique, or Mr. Numbskull going to work in a POS minivan belching blue smoke like a WWII destroyer? The age of the machine is irrelevant to the educated public regarding pollution. Politicians? Don't get me started. That being said, as long as we live in America they're going to have to do a lot better than $750 per tractor. They better at least double it to pay me back for what I have invested...1,650.00 bucks to date on my 7016 resurrection. By the way, it doesn't smoke, doesn't miss and is the epitome of recycling. Of course it was American made back when that meant "made to last" planned obsolescence had yet to be discovered. Gee, I can buy an MTD made out of recycled beer cans for $750 then 2 years later, another one and so on. Makes me think the reason for the $750 is the "Gray market" guys lobbying the politicians. Isn't the law of "eminent domain" enough? That's where they take your land and give you a pittance for it. Glad I moved to the south. Someone takes your tractor without giving you what you want for it...why that's tantamount to stealing. ;) Can you say guard dog, high fence etc? :D

Ahh, yes, the uneducated leaders of our country wanting to crush our American history. There is no doubt that emissions should be on a case by case basis. I followed a fairly new Saturn today that left behind a nice trail of blue oil smoke - it ain't right when California crushes old Camaros ( that magazine story was great - almost made me cry knowing the rust piles I have to look at here in MI). Anyway, the Gray Market tractors are for real, and are a real problem. Many times they are different in important ways from a US spec tractor. Safety items are first and foremost - no ROPS, seatbelt, safety switches etc. ( I know - these are often altered anyway, but that's not the point.) Also, parts availability can be difficult because the brand X dealer has no way to look up your parts. What good is something that is a complete oddball that isn't easily maintained, even if it's cheap to buy? Check out Kubota's and Yanmar's websites - they have some info and background on what tractors were legally imported to the US.