Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Source for idler pulleys?

Bruker

The last one I replaced was purchased at a local hardware store. It was a rush job. Appears to be holding up very well. Visually, it was identical to the one that I removed.

Sometimes you get lucky and find a direct relacement and it lasts. What's wrong with this is if someone replaced the pulley before you and now it's incorrect for the application. I have found that some/most manufacturers select odd sized belts/pulleys and such for some applications so the local supply houses cant match up stuff. This leads to lost performance and breakdowns. If a part has been copied from the orriginal manufacturers specs then you would be OK. But you'll find they take several sets of specs and average them together and produce a part that might work for awhile but it'll never give you the results of factory replacement parts.I'd go with Al's recomendation and get a genuine replacement part. At least for the first one and try then to find a match. That way you know you at least had what it called for. You'll also get to see actual comparison between OEM parts and a substitute.