Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Good Advice #1 ....

... when buying a tractor - Buy it with all of the implements you plan to use. After buying a stripped down tractor, I feel like Radar O'Reilly (from Mash) sending a piece of his Jeep home to Iowa piece by piece.

That's one of the great things about this hobby. Lookng for and finding the rare and hard to find implements. The ones I use are the ones I have in the yard availiable.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
That's one of the great things about this hobby. Lookng for and finding the rare and hard to find implements....
The hunt, huh?

I think the longest hunt would be finding everything you need with a machine. Good advice #2: There is nothing that you don't need. I have a hay rake, for crying out loud, and I dont even hay. It's called Orange fever. :) Less than 1 year ago I bought a 64 Landlord. I now own 2 6008s, a 707, a 717 parts tractor, tiller, cultivator, plow, snowplow, 2 mower decks, a dump rake, carry-all box, lawn roller and moldboard plow. Probably more that I forgot about. That's just the simplicity stuff.

' I have a hay rake, for crying out loud, and I dont even hay'. Now Jim, you know if your having problems sleepping over havein' that rake it's more then welcome to fly north.

Now Marty, like I told you, you have first dibs on it, and those tines might as well be coat hangers if you tried moving ice with 'em!

Jim, You sound like me. Don't have a garden, but have a moldboard plow and a tiller. Don't get much snow, but have a blower and two blades. Live on 1/3 acre, but have three 48 inch and one 42 inch decks. Don't have any tall weeds, but have a sickle bar mower. I can only drive one tractor at a time, but have four tractors. Looks like we have been infected by the "SimAC" virus.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Jim, You sound like me. Don't have a garden, but have a moldboard plow and a tiller. Don't get much snow, but have a blower and two blades. Live on 1/3 acre, but have three 48 inch and one 42 inch decks. Don't have any tall weeds, but have a sickle bar mower. I can only drive one tractor at a time, but have four tractors. Looks like we have been infected by the "SimAC" virus.
Watch out, Jim might sick the tractor police on ya and confiscate all but the push mower. You have way more than what you need.

What push mower? Who said I had a push mower? Is there one in that pile of junk behind the garage? You been snoopin round my back yard when I'M gone? LOL

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
What push mower? Who said I had a push mower? Is there one in that pile of junk behind the garage? You been snoopin round my back yard when I'M gone? LOL
Geez, I just assumed everyone had a push mower as a backup considering these old tractor's temperment.

Steve, I do have a push mower. It has a B/S engine that has outlasted two decks. Unfortunately my son hit a landscaping timber with the blade, blade stuck in the wood, killed the engine, then he tried to forcefully get it out by pulling/prying with the handles of the mower. He got the blade loose, but bent the blade or crankshaft in the process. It still runs, but vibration is terrible. Anyway, I am set up to use a tractor and a weedeater. Seldom need a push mower, unless I let things go too long without cutting.

yep..20" craftsman that I call my "finish mower," for getting around shrubs and the tighter spots the tractor can't get to. Not a backup mower. My lawn tractor is a mid-80s simp.6008 with the double bagger. Don't need a backup. They take vertical shaft engines which are really easy to find, usually free. One goes, drop in another, and since it's a RBT, re-drilling /modifying to take whatever engine is never a concern, and quick fixes without worrying about keeping things original is grat too.

I have 2 acre my yard doesn't know what a push mower looks like. Been using AC's to cut, tiller, push, and haul for 25 years. Do use a weedeater to trim things. Was going to buy one at the yard sale next door, but wife said what do you need that for. She talk me out of buying it.