Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This ones got my stumped

dhardin

Got a Kohler CV23 75513 in a Dixie Chopper. Ran great for 2 months. Now it fouls both spark plugs, one cylinder more than the other.The plug has a black soot powery covering the electrod. Loss of power,and sounds as it is running with the chock on. (But its not) Black smoke is puffing out of the exost. What i have all ready checked: 1. carb float and gas inlet needle ok float highth ok excellerator pump looks and preforms as it should 2, The high speed air adjustmen at the top of the carb changes nothing 3. both cylinders have 125 plus compresstion 4. flywheel key is perfect 5. both electronic moduals (coils test ok) 6. starts good. will run on cyl 2 ok, the clylider that dose not foul as bad. If let run on cylinder 1 (the one that fouls the worst) it will run very ruff and or die. At high RMPs it sounds loaded up but will run, at a idel it will die. 7 replaced both spaark plugs What i do know and suspect the RPM gage is not workong and I on 2 ocation have over rapped the engein, not for but a second. It sounds as a lifter knock. and suspect the previeus ouner did as well. As I inspected inside the vale cover, at some time in its past it must have lost a rocker arm, because there is a chunk out of the inside cover. Do I have a bad liffter or bent push rod? Or is the cam damager? All external signs seem to me to be carberation. PLease help Im stumped Dan Hardin

HI, There is a fix for the vertical shaft Commands to quiet the lifter noise. It is caused by air trapped in the galleries. Probably a 1 1/2 hour job to install. Does it smoke with the air cleaner cartridge removed? Sounds like a fuel problem to me. It is common for an air leak, or a leaky (not blown) head gasket to cause the crank case vacuum to drop and the engine will then blow oil out the breather into the air cleaner and soak it with oil. This will choke the engine. It happens with both Briggs and Kohler. Another thing did someone OVER OIL the pre-cleaner? This can oil soak the paper element and cause the same problem. Will be waiting for some more clues. Al Eden

This Chopper has 3 different air filters, (amazing) but no oil prefilter. I checked the head bolts tork on cylinder No.1 The one that is fouling the worst there ok. Ill check the other cylinder in the morning. I just had a revolation: and thank you Al for your post I really respect and enjoy your input. But to my revolation: I seen to remmber that the last time i checked the oil it seamed a bit over full, but clean. I had not changed the oil sence i got the mower. So the next time i was at the Chopper dealer where I got this mower, I pickeed up a Kohler oil filter, when I moved the mower to the shop is when it started to mis bad. I drained the oil and it looked good but was very black (no metal or anything unusual}. One thing I have not checked and feel it could be the root of the problem is the vaccum fuel pump. It may be leaking raw gas into the vaccum system. If this is the case thats why it was increasing in oil leavl and was so clean on the dip stick (it was thined oil) and black when it drained into my pan. Also ther is a oil allarm, befor I changed the oil it took a few seconds for the allarm to stop.Now that I have changed the oil it goes right out after I start up. HUmmmmm... Well it after 10pm I better not go out and set up a short by-pass of the fuel pump tonight. But it could be? Shoot i just come her to get out of the rain you know. Ill let you all know.. Dhardin

I just had this problem with the cv20 command in my prestige. Took it to the shop and for $314.00 they replaced a blown head gasket. It works great now.

Geeee Ray sounds bad but I have to give it a few more stabs befor i take it to the dealer. Well my revolation did not turn up anything, fuel pump working fine. But I did try a little test to see if its carb or a head or intake gasket. To see if the carb/bowel is over flowing, but the parts all look good and working properly. I got my air hose and blew air into the open carb, as it was running at a fast ideal, I figured it would kill or cure it. And was surprized to find the motor reved up some, and smoothed out. It was easy to get to much air and it would start to die. But with a little playing around I could make it runn smooth and stop all the mis fireing and the black smoke stoped. So i have a new float kit comeing today at noon. The big $2 question will be if kit dose not fix it, just what did this little test prove. My friend at the Simplicty shop said it may be a pluged bowl vent. But i have had that carb on and off so many time this week and cleaned blew air and inspecred it so many times i am just running out of tricks.

My dealer told me that more than likely the cause of my blown head gasket is from back firing after shuting it off. I had always let it idle for a minute or so before I would shut it down and it would back fire sometimes, so now I shut it off at half throttle or full throttle like the dealer told me and haven`t had problems so far. Have you had it back fire at shut down?

Ray maybe once but not real bad. geeesh Got the floar kit in and just what i thought it did not fix it. Well next i guess Ill pull the heads. And get me a set of gaskets. I just dont see it but everyone has said head gaseket from the start. I am use to a blown gasket acting so different. This must be a leacking head gasket that dose not act the same. It starts and runs so well but just cant run smaooth. And mean while the grass is growing for the first time all summer. Thank God for my old Aliic 416 with the pull behind saving the day. I got to go mow something this afternoon, but tonight Ill open it up. I'm just concerned Ill open it up and not see the problem and hope not to have ordered any more uneed parts. But you know some time life sucks that way... sorry Im kind of BUMMED right now. Thanks for all you guys help. Keep the aid and supprot coming.

Makes my point again, cant beat the old stuff this new stuff is garbage in all ways.imo.I Take a look at my local dealers bad eng table all thats there is this new stuff mostly kohlers,and yes there are hondas and a kawi's and brigg's there too,as they are on feed choppers,what he sells,,lol,,what junk

You will never guess what the problem was... I have not finished reasembling yet and fired it up, but I am confident i found the bug. A lifter was stuck. Pulled the head and looked great, no burnt vales, pulled the intake lifter out and tried to blead off some oil and it would not buge. Put it in a vice and a short bolt as a push rod and pushed harder. No spring action at all, Got a small ice pick and pushed in the small ball check valve in the center, then in the vice for another push and it moved very little and still very hard, some oil came out. So i found 3 new liffter in Blomington and got them all. Gee a $6 liffter causing all the greaf. I should have went with my first instinket and checked the liffters. I just did not think you could remove the lifter without removing the head, but you can. Ill let you know if she runns smooth today. dlcentral" I have to agree for the most part, I got the big contracts because i have the big equipment, though some of it being 30 years old, painted up rebuilt and clean running. But no I still had to have more and better (I confess). What the hay Im retired and maken good money. I found a good deal on the Dixie Chopper and man oh man dose this thing mow. They advertive as the worlds fastest mower and I think it is. This 60" 23hp machine cut my mowing time 25% over my 80" pullbehind system. And a lot less stress and eseaier to handle. But I told my wife i planed on keeping the old stuff. (To witch she did not lol).