Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deutz 616 opinion

Jovee

I found a Deutz Allis 616 for sale about a month ago and called the # on the for sale sign. The guy wanted $325/bo for it. Said it ran, cut and the hydro was fine. Didnt think it would be there long and really didnt have the extra money. I drove past it last night and was still there. Now I have the extra money but lord knows I dont need anything else in the yard but the addictive dna cells in me says I do. What could anybody tell me good or bad about one of these? Any defects to look for or ask about? Kind of a "what would you do?" scenario.

Not a hard decision for me. I only collect large frame tractors. Don't have a PowerMax or any vertical shaft tractors, and not looking for any at the current time.

Really? I'm a bit surprised but that's why I asked. Verticals don't bother me at all but doesn't this one have a Simplicity counterpart? I'm not sure what it is if there is one but you guys would know better than me -

There is a Simplicity counterpart. The issue comes in as these are a different breed. The large frame tractor's attachments all need a special hitch for these. These were the cheaper model compared to the large frame tractors. I would not ask nearly as much from them as I would from the large frame tractors. There are guys here who like this model but I suspect I am in the majority that many of us prefer the larger tractors.

Hi, This tractor is the same as a 5216h simplicity, they are very long running trouble free lawn tractors. They mow very well and have more lift on the blades and I think are even better than the LH decks at speading the grass. They don't have as deep a deck as the LH discharge decks, and may not mow hay as well, but they do one heck of a good job of mowing lawns. If it is good it is priced right. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
Which 616 is it? The powermax or like the 6116 simplicity?
Its the smaller rider that Al mentioned above. This is the link to the ST site http://www.simpletractors.com/deutz/600_series.htm I could only dream about having a Power Max at that price. There would be no question. Thanks for all the input so far. The good 'green' ones dont appear too often around here.

They do a nice job mowing. The only thing I have against those is I like the larger tires that come on the large frame tractors. You can upgrade to larger tires though.

I stopped to hear it run and see it move today. Missing the deck belt which wasnt a problem. Everything seemed to work properly (except the jumpstarting part). Noticed it was overfilled with oil but once it got over the intial start up mushroom cloud it ran smooth and quiet. Body wasn't in bad shape and the seat was good. The downside came when it was made known that the pice was now a firm $350. My wife immediately vetoed that. She made the point that what if I find something I really want next week. Point made. Thanks for all the insight guys. If anyone near W Pa wants it I will give you directions or the phone number - Rats! p.s. It has the 20x10 single hole rear wheels on it.