Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

700 PTO problem

Morris

Hi guys, I'm a fairly new member and found the site shortly after I bought my Simplicity 700 this summer. It seems to run ok after some wiring work and fresh gas, but the PTO under the seat (which attaches to the deck) seems off to me. The shaft coming out of the frame with a pulley on it has the pulley too far along the shaft, and doesn't line up with the pulleys on the PTO lever. It came with a rear tiller, and this pulley DOES line up with that. Are there supposed to be two pulleys on the shaft for that kind of setup? Or do you have to move the PTO pulley somehow? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. Morris H. Wendell, NC

Normally you would have 2 pulley's for the 2 diff. attachments but the former ownwer may have moved the single pulley out to use the tiller and left it there. My sugestion if you want to use both attachments is to push the current one in and add a second for the tiller. Oh, and welcome to the club.

I am not sure without a picture. If you look enough on this site I think that you could find a picture. Maybet the belt is not the correct size. JH. PS welcome to the site. JH

Per D-17 there should be two pulleys. The larger, inner one is to drive the mower PTO. The smaller, outer pulley is for the tiller drive. Let me know if you need a picture (can take one tomorrow).

Thanks guys, I did look further and did see one pic that showed two pulleys on the shaft. Given that the deck was broken when I got it, I suspect former owner wasn't using it to mow, and perhaps just set it up to run the tiller. I'll post some pics to show the progress of this restoration sometime soon... Morris H. Wendell, NC