Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42 in Soverign Snowblower on Landlord 101

Alpha8D

Bought a used 42" Snowblower #1690032 SN 009575 that I'll be fitting up to my 1966 Landlord 101 # 990350. Soverign had an engine mounted mechanical cone clutch so blower needs a bit of modification to turn spring loaded belt tensioner into spring loaded belt engage-disengage device. Looks do-able but has anyone done it and learned anything I can benefit from?

Why not just put one of the electric clutches on it? Thay way you can bolt it up directly with only slight mods. Check out these pictures of one that I adapted: http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=26221&SearchTerms=Sears,snowblower and the result. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=26956&SearchTerms=Sears,snowblower

HubbardRA, I'd like to do that but I'd prefer to find an elec clutch that would fit on the motor shaft so I minimize the number of belts, belt turns and idlers. I'll be running the 42" blower with a 10hp until I get the 12hp spare rebuilt so HP is at a premium and I want to minimize drive losses. That was the appeal of running blower right off the motor front shaft rather than the long belt version underneath which would take power from motor through drive shaft then angle gearbox then belt to jackshaft then long belt to blower.. Thanks.

I have used all three belt setups and the most efficent with the least problems is the long belt from the center P.T.O. on the 7100 series. You have a newer style blower with the 7" pulley you will have to change it to the 5 pulley used on the blowers for the landlord. The best setup to use would be the hitch with the built in clutch designed for that tractor. Even with an electric clutch you will need a hitch with two idler pullies. i.e. the hitch for the 3400, 7000, 700, series tractors.

Here's a couple of old posts about electric clutches/snow throwers: http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=28588&SearchTerms=electric,clutch http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18927&SearchTerms=electric,clutch I had the "reverse problem", installing an old style snow thrower on a newer tractor. I installed an electric PTO on the front shaft of the 16 HP Briggs installed into a newer 17 GTHL tractor which you'll see in the first post. If I remember what a 101 looks like, the front shaft of the engine sticks out through the hood. The electric PTOs mount up against the ridge on the drive shaft and are bolted down axially. So you'll have to remove the grill or use some spacers to install the PTO. If the end of your drive shaft doesn't have a drilled and tapped hole, you'll have to make one (not difficult, I did it on my installation). Also as Maynard said, the driven pulley on the snow thrower and engine driver pulley are matched. The older snow throwers used a 4 3/8" driver pulley and 5 1/4" driven pulley. The newer ones used a 5 1/2" driver pulley and a 7" driven pulley. (approximate diameters) If you go with an electric PTO, you'll be in good shape with the stock 7" pulley on your snow thrower as long as the diameter of the electric clutch is about 5 1/2" (all of the electric clutches I've seen are about that size). If you change to the manual clutch setup (Maynard's recomendation and I agree) , you would install a fixed pulley on the engine shaft, keep your grill and have to change the stock snowthrower pulley to get the correct thrower RPM. You may want to try a 5 1/2" pulley on the engine shaft, but I'd be concerned with how the belt would feed down through the idler/clutch pulleys. Good luck.

And a link to an operators manual for the old style snow thrower with clutch type hitch: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1309_00_AT_S.pdf

My inclination is to do as UCD suggests and employ a hitch set up for the Landlord as original (tighten belt with lever and rod to engage blower) and change the blower pulley. I have drawings of both hitches from manuals. I'll morph the Soverign hitch into a Landlord hitch with a bit of fabrication and welding. My Landlord actually has the wider slightly beefier Soverign front axle and wheels (see previous post) so that part of the hicth should fit OK. Much appreciate all the information! The need to change blower pulley I'd certainly have missed on my own.