Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Agco Allis 1920H Q's

bluecap24

Hello All, I purchased an Agco Allis 1920H a month ago and I have mowed with it a few times and of course did a complete service before that. I have observed a few things that may be normal, but I don't know. 1 The motor puts out a puff of smoke when I first start it. It is a Kohler v-twin with 630 hours on it. It doesn't smoke during operation though. Is that common? If not any ideas as to why? I am running Valvoline synthetic in it. 2. It mows nice as long as I go slow. When I speed up it misses grass and if I get into heavy grass it really plugs up. I had a soveriegn before and could mow faster with it. The deck has two blades that turn one way and the third turns backwards. The local dealer said that this was to cut better? Anybody else have a similar experience? 3. It also wants to die. If I have been running it for 45 mins or so and then shut it off to move kids toys and stuff. When I start it back up and start to mow it starts dying and I have to choke it a few times to keep it running and then it goes away. Ghosts???? It seems to do it worse if I try to use reverse after the startup. Maybe that is too many questions, but any help would be appreciated. I got a good deal on it compared to others on the market, but would like to iron out the bugs. It has the 60" deck, hydrauilic front blade, 26x12x12 bar tires. I will try to post pics sometime. Thanks, Jim

Jim, lets go over a couple of things. First, it's a common thing for an engine with some wear to give a little puff when you first start up. This isn't uncommon and isn't an issue as long as oil consumtion doesn't get to bad. You might also check the precleaner and the air filter to see that they aren't covered with to much oil or restricted. No Simplicity deck turns 1 blade opposite from the others. That I know of. Depending on whitch deck and tractor you have will determine whether you have a right or left side discharge deck. This determines whitch way the blades turn. I would guese that you have the belt slung around the center spindle backwards driveing it the wrong direction. This would also pull the belt slack against the tentioner pulley when the load of grass is applied. Pull the deck off and reroute the belt as needed to gain the correct blade rotation and try it then. I'm sure you'll find the results better. As for the Ghost's in the engine, it may only act up on restart but it sounds as if it's a tad bit lean on the carb adjustment. There may be several things causeing this, lean adjustment on the carb jets, leaking intake gaskets, some vapor lock due to some heat shields missing. The later would come into play as when you shut down the heat biuld up onder the hood affects the gas flow on restart. A little time to get familiar w/ this machine will help with some of your problems. I don't know where they came up w/ the reverses blade thing. I could be wrong as I've never seen a Sunstar deck.

Hi, I understand that it may just be wear, but my older kohler doesn't do it and I am sure that it has a lot more hours than this thing. Maybe it is that new aluminum versus the cast of old. I replaced the aircleaner and washed the precleaner. I re-oiled the precleaner like I have done on the old soverign before. I have replaced that little rubber tube that goes from the crancase breather to the air cleaner because it was cracked. This was the same time I replaced the gasket on the crankcase breather cover because it was leaking oil down the front of the motor. When I talked to my local simplicity dealer he said that the early sunstars had all the blades rotating in one direction, but the air flow was blowing down the grass and the discharge blade would miss the grass. He said that on the later ones (mines a 1993) that they reversed the discharge blade to pickup that grass. It is a left hand discharge. Hard to get used to after running the soverign for years. I found the deck manual on the simplicity site. Part number is 1691339 or 1691334. It sure baffles me. My father-in law has a kubota with a 60 and all of his turn the same way? I will check your suggestions for the lean condition. Good thought. I am sure that once I get used to it I will like it better. It is an awesome tractor. Thank you all!

I would still check your belt routeing to make sure it's pulling all the blade properly. The missing grass condition may just be worn/rounded egde blades or maybe if one blade does turn diff you have a set of same direction blades on it and one is rotateing incorrectly due to the wrong blades.

Under that breather cover is where the rubber valve is. Check condition of that valve. Maybe if you routed belt like early model and put corresponding blade on it, it would not clog. Sunstars are supposed to have a great cut, some say better than the Sovereigns. That i don't know

That deck has 2 right hand blades( #172365 ) and 1 left hand blade ( #172366 ). Check to make sure the correct blades are on it and in the correct location and turning in the correct direction. The blades might be installed in the wrong location or someone put 3 right hand blades on it.

Welcome aboard Jim! Your blades are correct! It's my understanding that the left hand blade helps to evacuate the clippings from the deck. The Simplicity blades on this tractor have so much lift, that if you are cutting high, wet grass, it will pack up under the deck. When this happens your blades loose their lift due to the lack of clearance, and you will notice they are not cutting as they should. When the amount of clippings being exhausted seems to have lessened, if you stop the blades, as they slow you will see the excess clippings trapped against the underside of the deck, start to come out in clumps as they fall back down into the blades. I also have a 93, this is an extreemly strong and effecient deck. I bought mine new in Sept. of 92 and have never been displeased with it. I use mine as a brush hog on a regular bassis. Now I did look at one for a guy that was not happy with the cut to the point of wanting to sell it. Then, like a dummy I pointed out that the blades were not only upside down, but two were turning the wrong direction. As to your engine questions, I can't help, the only trouble I've ever had was to replace a coil this summer. Hope this helps some.

Hi, I agree all of the 60 Legacys and the late 60 inch Sun Stars have the discharge blade rotate opposite the 2 right hand blades. This was done to deflect the discharge grass from the 2 blades on the right side back and out ward. This lets the left hand cut the grass from righ to left and not have a huge load of grass (when cutting really tall grass)from the right 2 blades pushing the grass down. If this deck didn't have such a deep deck, you couldn't get all that material in there and it wouldn't have been a problem. I wouldn't worry about a littl puff of smoke on start up. All of the trators do it when they are new and fresh. I would remove the carb and clean it and double check the float level. These are fixed jet and they are awfull lean when at best. Al Eden

Al My magnum 20 has adjustable high and idle jets. It runs really nice. What is the starting point for each jet. And do have have a recommended procedure on setting them?

As with all carb jets start at 1½ turns out. Adjust the low speed jet with engine running turn out until it runs rough then turn it in until it runs rough then set half way between or until it runs the smoothest. On the high speed jet at an idle pull the throttle wide open. If engine stumbles then catches return throttle to idle and let engine stabilize then turn high speed jet 1/16th of a turn open then pull throttle wide open. if engine stumbles repeat step above. Repeat this step until engine does not stumble when you open throttle wide open

Hi, We use a little different process. We start with the idle about 1 to 1 1/4 turns and the main about 2 2 1/4. Then we run the engine wide open and adjust the main to where the Hi speed runs the best. Next i idle it down and adjust the idle for best running. Next I back the idle stop out until it is running as slow as it will run. I readjust the idle. Next I run it wide open and often turn on the deck. I then adjust the H speed to where it runs the absolute best and the throttle arm in the carb. (governor link) is the most stable , no hunting. Next I go back to the idle, reset it for best running, then wide open and repeat. The back to idle and set the idle min speed stop to spec. If the engine stumbles on throttle up, I open the idle mix 1/8 turn. Then I go back to the H speed and readjust it to the best and smoothest running and open the screw a little until I can detect a slight change in pitch or the governor link starts to move then I move back to the point just before where the change started to occur. You want the final adjust to be the high speed and it should be just barely on the rich side of where it runs the best. Not rich enough that you can detect any degradation, but just ever so slightly open from best running. Always do the final adjust on the high speed jet. Al Eden

Hi First of all Congradulations on buying an Agco Allis 1920H! Yes they are an awsome tractor all around. It takes awhile to get used to the left hand discharge chute through. My 1920H also smokes when it starts up and then does not smoke when it is running. It is completely normal. I have a Kohler Command 20hp in mine. The only trouble I had with the engine was the Carborater, and coils, other then that it works great. She's at 815 hours now and I don't plan to quiet running her yet! Good luck with your Agco 1920. Take Care Jason B