Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mowing

tej

A few weeks ago the PTO belt broke on my B-12. I bought an OEM replacement for it but had not put it on yet the following weekend. I decided to mow with the Bolens. Well after one trip around yard I had scalped it in three spots. I parked the Bolens and installed the PTO belt on the B-12 to finish mowing. The Bolens deck is now up for sale. Just can beat the mowers on the Simplicities and ACs. Tim

I Agree Tim, My neighbor traded their 25 year old Broadmore in on one of those blue zero turn machines. Now they can give their yard a bad hair day in record time. That old Simplicity made their lawn look like a golf course.

I'm new to mowing with a tractor, as my wepon of choice has been a 1960's vintage 30" single reel Locke. I am very pleased with the cut quality with my 6216, and still get the nice striped finish. Biggest problem so far is figuring out how to minimize the excess traffic at the narrow parts of the yard, as the Locke is a zero turn. I've resorted to cutting forward then backing up over my tracks to keep the lines straight, but I guess that 's the price to pay when you are trying to mow 1/3 of an acre with a garden tractor. Good thing it has a very fast reverse gear.

Don't tell us you have a 48" mower too - that thing probably isn't even warmed up by the time you're done! I hope you have a nice long driveway to use the plow on. :)