Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Strange One

While draining the gear oil from my Pow'rMax drop down housing I noticed one side substanially different in color from the other. One side (driver's side if it matters) was a light chocolate brown and the other much darker brown almost the color of coffee. Why the difference? Could it be that one side had water in it? If so, how could it get in there?

HI, This can come from freezing and thawing with the humid air coming in thru the vent if so equiped. The upper case freezes and then the frost crystals melt, recycle. Happens in gas tanks also. Al Eden

Sorry Al, no freezing here in SoCal. Power wash through the vent hole sounds logical but why only one side. So, it's definitely water that causes the light brown color?

Your drop housing oil contamination can be attributed to rusted upper parts of the bull gear, bull pinion and bearing. There is an oil slinger that is installed on the bull pinion that serves to sling oil to the upper parts. This slinger is ineffective at low speeds. You must take your PowerMax on the road and run it in third gear at max throttle. This will sling the oil where needed. Do this twice a year. Once you have done your hi speed run, immediately drain the oil and replace. I have had to do this procedure a couple times on PowrMax’s that have not been properly maintained. If your oil has a milky appearance its cause from condensation as Al has pointed out.