Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Throwing Snow and Pulling Camper with 7116

xrisj

When I bought my 7116, the guy who sold it to me told me of a snow thrower and tiller for sale in another local town. I bought them both. My friend told me, however, that his JD get stuck all the time even with weights and chains. I've got about a 200 ft drive on a grade to clear - I'm afraid it's too much to expect the 7116 to handle, but have no idea how they work in the snow. Also, I've got a small Scamp trailer that weights ~1800 lbs that needs to be moved around the yard from time to time. Asside from the obvious momentum issues, will it tear up the tractor to pull this trailer around? I'm struggling with whether or not to buy a 4 wheeler. I'd like to save the money. Any experiences would be helpful. Thanks. cj

Fill the rear tires with windshield washer fluid,the alcohol type,and chain them and nothing will stop you.Repaint the chute and make it very smooth.Then spray with Pam or any other non stick cooking stuff and the snow will shoot out like crazy.

I cleaned off my 200 foot driveway last winter with my 7116H with true power tires, but no wheel weights or chains. I got stuck a few times, but mostly when I was trying to clean up snow that fell on top of a thick layer of ice.

No problem, watch the ice. I have pulled 20+ campers with one, taking it easy, 1800 lbs should move easily. I also blew 1/8th of a mile drive, mostly flat but the tractor and blower could not find a place they could not make it through, just work at big snow drifts it will make it.

I plow/blow over a 1000 feet drivway. Belive it or not I can plow up hill!!! And I'm only using a 64 Landlord with a 9hp briggs. It sounds like you should have no trubble with your tractor. You will be amazed just how well these things will do. Oh welcome to the club. Here is a free tip-------we love pictures!!!! :) Elon

Today I was pulling a gas engine on cart around at a show with a 3112 H .You might not think much of that but this engine weighs over 3000 pounds. It is a 22 hp eagle with steel wheels. 4000 lb camper is no problemwith the 7116h I use a 3112 for blowing snow and did not get stuck with itUse it and have fun. Bob

When you get done having FUN cleanning your own off go do your friend a favor and show him how a TRACTOR deals with work. Normally I use my B-112 but last year I had the blower on my 725 and blew around 500 feet [guesstamate] of driveway and parking area plus my 1/3 mile walking trail through the woods

I had a Simplicity Sunstar (dead) with 4 flat tires and a deck that wouldn't stay up...traded it for a AC B-1, but had to get it out of back yard to front to load it up, so I hooked it to my Simpicity 700 and it pulled it like a knife slicing through butter. Amazing what these little tractors can do! (That Sunstar tractor weighed well over 1000 lbs.!) So yes, your tractor will haul the 1800 lb. camper fine...I had the 1000 lb. tractor on four flats plus the deck gouging the ground, plenty of resistance but it moved right along... Morris H. Wendell NC

I use my B210 to move my 22' boat around the driveway - boat motor and trailer are 4600lbs. I go real easy on the clutch/brake but the power is there - it's all in the gearing....

This summer, I cut down a good-sized maple tree and loaded the logs onto my 5'x10' trailer. Nearly busted the axle on the trailer -- don't even really want to know what the total weight was. It left ruts in my bone-dry clay yard. At a bend in my driveway I have a short 20 degree (or so) incline and I was a little scared that I might break the tractor since I was moving slowly at that point. My tractor didn't seem to understand that this should be dramatic and just pulled without even slowing the engine. Have fun, use the heck out of your 7116 and welcome to the club!

I have pulled my tandem axle trailer with my son's Mustang GT on it. Only problem that I had was keeping the front wheels of the tractor on the ground. My ball hitch is set up to be the same height as the one on my truck. It gives lots of down force on the rear wheels, but tries to lift the front. I made a rack to put weights on the front of mine for this type of loading. The hydro tranny is nice when maneuvering or parking the trailer. I used the same tractor to spread a load of blue stone (gravel) on my driveway. Only trouble I had was that the blade wanted to dig in too much with the manual lift and tried to jerk the handle out of my hand. Would be better now, since I now have the hydrolift installed on it. Only problem I have had with pushing snow is traction. A good set of bar lugs, and some weight and these tractors will push a blade full of dry snow. A little more difficult with wet snow that packs into ice. I have always been able to clean the driveway, unless it was frozen into solid ice.