Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5216 Hydro engage/disengage problem

dsw6108

Just got this unit and it is in decent shape. One thing though the engage/disengage lever/switch does not operate. It appears to be stuck in the engaged position. Any ideas on what might be wrong and what I can do to fix it. I push the lever to disengage and the little tab on the lever contacts the pin but no movement on the pin occurs. Thanks for any ideas Dave

Dave, Does this unit drive ok? Is the hydro erratic? If it is see if the U bolt that clamps the axle if tight. It it is loose or gone, there is a very good chance that the boss on the transmisison gear case is broken. This is the top anchor and there is a bolt that goes down through the frame ahead of the battery into the casting. If this has happened, the tractor will speed up and slow down eratically. the F/R linkage is fixed but the case is moving around and this is changing the arm at the hydro pump. Will try to look at one tomorrow and see if I can remember anything else about this. Al Eden

Al, It appears to drive ok so far and not erratic. The U bolts are intact and secure. What I'm referring to is the engage/disengage lever that allows you to push the unit around when not running. There is a spring loaded pin on the front side of the pump that actuates this. This is the pin that does not move in /out. I guess I'm lucky it is stuck in the out position. I'm suspecting corrosion is the cause but not sure what could be inside. Dave

I had same problem, and as I push my mower frequently (KOHLER) I bought a new valve $140. The other one I was able to free up. Both appeared to be abused, probably stuck in disengaged position and gripped with pliers to pull back out.

I also had problems with the freewheeling valves on my AC716H. I had to peck on the pin with a hammer to make it freewheel. Then it wouldn't come back out. I took it off, and with a small rod and a hammer, was able to drive the mechanism back into the sealed position. I am fortunate that the engine starts easily and I have not needed to push that tractor since then. I am planning to make a boom that will fit on the rear of my tractors so that if I need to move one that is not running, I can pick the rear wheels off the ground and move it with another tractor. Nice to have more than one tractor to use. Makes it easier to move the broken one to a suitable repair area.

Hi, As I remember that dump valve shaft goes through a packing nut and then through an o-ring. I would suspect the shaft is stuck to the packing or o-ring. I would suspect if you force it loose, you will have a leak to fix. Al Eden

Try wire brushing, emery paper , fine file , until pins and top of valve are clean and shiny , then apply grease so it will not rust again , then you can try using your disengage lever . A very light tap with hammer may jar them loose.