Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New B-112, question on carb

BrendonV

I just picked up a B-112, stock with lights, tiller, and mower deck...for only $280. My question is, the carb seems to be missing a peice, it looks complete with the air filter and everything, but i could see right through a hole facing the operator...does anyone have a pic of a carb from a b-112? thanks (i also need the carb side sheetmetal that covers the hole looking into the steering gear)

Your missing what is called the welch plug. It drives in and covers the end of the carb. You can find these in a carb. kit or off a junk carb. The trick to keeping them in place when you install it is to drive it in the correct way so it exspands and then stakeing the sides so it's trapped. Sorry I don't have a pic of one, but it's just a metal circle. Nothing special.

I usually use a bit of gasket sealer to help keep them in place.I've had them fall out,even after expanding them,and staking around the outside.

I get them at my local NAPA store. They are easy to find. I agree with the others that you shoud use some sealer and after you have expanded it try to stake it .

Its a Briggs number. Go to the Briggs site engine model # 300421 type # 0120-01 or 0127-01 and Date code. Should be stamped on your engine shroud. There you can download in My engine the IPL Illustrated Parts List with part numbers. You need the model type and date codes at NAPA or any other parts provider. I prefer having my own parts list. You can also go to Jacks and look it up. in EmPart.

I think all of us have come across the missing welch plug scenario. I used a thin bead of industrial epoxy on mine. No problems after 8 years (and counting) of service. This was before I learned about staking the plug. Everyone's got their own method I guess. For the sheet metal side cover, check the classifieds on this site. If you're into eBay, there's usually lots of parts up for bid for both Simplicity and A/C machines. Brian

You drive a little overlap of the plug with the rim. You need to buy the Briggs antique engine service manual. There may b some mention in the B series service manual. Are there dents in the surrounding ring now?