Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gator Blades for SunStar Mower Decks

Serious_Machining

Has anyone been successful in finding Gator-type blades for their SunStar mower decks ? I contacted MOW PRODUCTS in Georgia and they do not carry any offset blades, only straight ones (please, no 'Will & Grace' jokes). Of course, the blades must also be left-hand cut. My deck is the 48" model # 1691183. The OEM blade p/n is 1679916. Otherwise, are there any 'High Lift' blades available out there ? ? - Dennis Anderson

I think they're straight, but you should be able to use a 90-892 Gator Mulcher. http://www.oregonchain.com/OEP/pdfs/BladesSect3.pdf http://greenshoes.com/item.php/invId=90-892

Thanks GregC for the Oregon link. From the picture, the 90-892 looks to be left-hand cut and yes, it appears to be straight. I guess all that means is that it will cut 'a wee bit higher' on all of the five height positions than the OEM offset blade. Very interesting that Mow Products apparently does not carry any blades for Simplicity having the 1" center hole. Same can be said for Jack's Small Engines regarding their Gator mulchers; however, Jack's does carry both the non-mulching OEM #1679916 and its 'Brand X' equivalent. Interesting though about Jacks's: 'Brand X' is priced @ $12.15 on the 'Order by OEM p/n page' while it's $15.12 on the 'Replacement Blades for Simplicity' page. Looks like a transposition error to me. But what's most interesting is when you add the 'Brand X' blade to your shopping cart, one from each page, the shopping cart shows a separate line item for each entry with the different prices but with identical p/n's ! Oh, by the way, Jack's is charging $13.59 for the OEM blade. I'd sent an inquiry to GreenShoes about the 90-892 Gator blade just before I read GregC's reply. So not knowing about the actual specs of the 90-892 as per the Oregon info, I asked them if there were any Gator blades for my mower. I mentioned that in their picture of the 90-892, it resembles the blade I'm searching for - it even appears to be offset - but unfortunately it looks to be right-hand cutting ! So maybe their picture is reversed. I'm eager for their response. Before I forget, GreenShoes sells the Gator 90-892 for $13.73. Later, Gator ! (I couldn't resist.) :D - Dennis Anderson

Bill - That's extremely interesting that your 90-892 Gator blades are the offset 'gull wing' style. Now I'm even more curious about what GreenShoes has to say. Say, is the "L" suffix on the "GTH" the tip-off that it is a left side discharge deck ? Were there also "GTH-R"'s ? But more important to know - How do you like the Gator blades ? Under what conditions do they really excell and are there situations where they frustrate you ? - Dennis A.

The tractor offical designation is 17GTHL; it's a Sovereign with a different name. I've been told the letters stand for: 17 HP, Garden Tractor, Hydrostatic, Hydraulic Lift. The engine was blown when I got the tractor; I repowered it with a 16 HP Briggs single. I've only had the tractor a couple of years. Almost all use with the 48" deck has been with the Gators. Seems to be very good at chopping up leaves in the fall, but the discharge goes thru a turbo blower, so that helps also. When straight mowing, the Gators seem to make more turbulence and I get more clippings exiting the front of the deck and winding up on top of the deck and on the engine inlet screen. But even with regular blades, the same thing occurs, because the original engine was killed by clippings stopping sufficient engine cooling.

Bill - Thank you very much for responding so quickly to my latest inquiry. I appreciate the insightful info about the Tractor's model designation and especially your remarks on how well it mows with the Gator blades. I have always been discharging the grass clippings back onto the lawn and then using a trailing Trac-Vac collector for the autumn leaves. I guess I'll go ahead and order the Gators from GreenShoes once I hear back from them regarding my concerns expressed earlier about their ad. May the rest of your day be enjoyable ! 8D - Dennis A.