Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Positive Traction

When you raise the back end of the tractor up and turn one wheel they are supposed to turn different directions and mine turn the same direction! What should I do?

Hi Seth, Around 1965-66 approx. Simplicity&AC started putting springs inside of the differential to basically make it something like possitracion as the tractor starts to move both wheels will try to drive at the same time. The springs increase tension inside the diff. by putting equal tension on the pinion gears. Its not a true possitrac diff. but because of the added tension of the springs both wheels will turn in the same direction. If your tractor is older then 1965 or 66 or there abouts it has what is called a adjustable tension hub on the right rear of the tractor. You can tell if it has this hub as it will have to bolts with jam nuts. You can see these if you look at the outside of the hub around the lug nut area of the right rear wheel. This hub is adjustable and in my opion works better then the springs in the diff. The tighter the bolts the more presure that is put on the axle shaft. But if over tightened it will cause the tractor to try and go straight while turning. This is just a short discripion but I hope it helps you understand a little better. -->jackl-happyjack<--

Seth, The wheels only turn in opposite directions if the transaxle is in gear. If it's in neutral the wheels will turn the same direction. When it's in gear in order to turn the same direction they would have to turn the engine over. The differential causes them to turn in opposite directions when the transaxle is in gear. If both wheels were locked together instead of having a differential then they would not turn at all when the transaxle is in gear. Tim

The easiest way to see if your diff is "locked is look at lawn when you make a sharp turn. If diff is locked to much you'll see a dig mark on the inside turning rear wheel. dlc

Tim is correct on turning the wheels in gear.
My experience has the adjustable hub up to 1970 and the springed differential starting in 1971. You can tell by the stub shaft sticking out in the right rear wheel on the springed differential units.
Any other info????