Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Garden plow Clean Up?

Bunky

I picked up a Garden plow the other Day and it's a little Rusty, I have heard of using a brick ETC. to clean them. Whats the best way of cleaning this????

Used a peanut grinder with a wire brush on it too clean mine up then steel wolled it til I got bored with that hand jivin stuff.

I also heard/read somewhere a brick can be used. Just rub it in the same direction the soil would move acrosse it.

Easiest and fastest way is to scrape off as much rust as possible, and then hook it up and plow with it. Sandy soil is best. Every 30 or forty feet, lift the plow and scrape off any dirt that is sticking to it. The dirt will stick where the rust is worst. Five or six scrapes should clean it up pretty well. Oil it or paint it when you are done so you won't have to go through this again.

Best way I have ever cleaned up a plow is to use it. Sandy soil is best, but, as I don't have a lot of that around, I don't have the luxury of using it. Any soil will eventually rub the rust off. Use it a while, pull it up, scrape it clean, then use it some more until it shines. When you get through plowing, oil the plow, rub grease on it, motor oil, anything that resists water. A clean plow works much better than a rusty one to shed soil when breaking ground.

I like the scrubbing sanding pad that are used for sanding painted wood etc. Have work well on removeing rust. They conform to the surface your working on really well.

I had a friend that could not get his plow to turn the earth even after it looked clean. You will need to bernish it, or skowering. Skowering is different that just shinny. A skowered mallboard is like a mirrow. On the farm plowes it was just useing it till it skowered. I helped this friend skower his plow in a hurry, we hooked this tractor and plow to the back of my SUV and I pulled him over a field road with his plow in the ground just a little bit. At 6 to 10 mph it spead up the process. Its not the depth more the hard grownd moving over the mallboard at a higher rait of speed than the small tractor could get. After about 5 min. we unhooked the tractor and he droped it in the ground and woow what a difference. He plowed a good 60' 7" deep with less power needed, and pulled up and you could see yourself in the mallboard like never befor.

Sorry about the echo! my plow for my homebuilt is a 92 Chattanooga, I cleaned it in the field, and had a friend of mine nickel plate the moldboard. Shiny is not a problem. The point shows a bit of surface rust from time to time, but nothing serious that won't clean in about 10 feet of work. I have heard of all sorts of ways to clean plows. Working them is best, but if you can't or don't want to do that, use yuour brick, steel wool, a cup brush on a sidegrinder, 400 grit sandpaper on an air sander..anything abrasive will clean the rust off. Then, keep it off with grease, paint, if you don't intend to actually use the plow but want it for show. Paint is difficult to get off sometimes when trying to break ground.

Depends, too, on the rust. If it's really heavy, an angle grinder will work if no soil is available at the moment. But if it's not rusted too badly, a wire brush (round) attached to a rotary drill. Don't use a battery drill, but electric as in 110v, to get the most RPM's you can. Oh, with either of these, you want to wear a dust mask.