Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp Briggs keeps dieing

bubba_t _flubba

On my 7016H w/16 hp Briggs I noticed a while back, that it seemed like it would loose power while mowing. It would act like it was running out of fuel. So I tore down the carb cleaned really well, I blew it out with air. I also changed the spark plug, put in new points. It will only run on 3/4 choke. I cleaned the carb again (this was a brand new carb two years ago). Still only runs on 3/4 choke. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Greg [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/bubba_t%20_flubba/7016h.jpg[/img]

To help you trouble-shoot here are some ideas. Does the problem occur all the time or only when your fuel level is getting low? If the problem only appears when you're needing a refill, there may be some crud in the tank. How old is the fuel line? When I first got my 7016 you wouldn't believe the cost cutting the previous owner did. I replaced the thin-wall (kinked) vacuum line with proper fuel line early on. How have you adjusted your carb? I adjust mine (the main fuel jet which points down towards the front wheel) under full load with the deck engaged to where it runs the best. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL when doing this! I'm guessing the tractor runs ok without the deck engaged. Hope I've provided some ideas you haven't thought of yet.

Thanks guys, I have checked the gas flow and it flows at a high rate. It does this all the time. I have readjusted the carb many times and runs best at the recommended setting of 1 1/2 turns out. I will double check the mentioned ideas again for I am out of ideas. Other than I think I read somewhere a leaky head gasket could cause similar symptoms, what do you all think? Thanks, Greg

And intake manifold gaskets Is the plug on end of carb secure and tightly sealed? How does it run with air cleaner element removed?

Is the small rubber tube between breather and intake manifold in good shape? Did you adjust both the idle and hi-speed jets? Have you check float level? When you take carb apart , How much gas is in bowl?

Hi, I checked the vent tube and seemed to be fine. Adjusted both high and idle jets. Just removed the intake to check gaskets, did not see anything that might suggest a leak. Also checked for crack in the intake. I am stumped, Greg

did you actually have gas fill up bowl? How about gas cap is it vented? If all this checks out fine, then the problem may be with valves. What kind of compression do you have?

From experience: Make sure the spring that provides tension on the mixture screw is strong. Had the same problem with my 23D. When I went to bottom out the screw to re-adjust after a stall, it bottomed out on half a turn, meaning it vibrated closed one whole turn.

Something that may or may not have anything at all to do with your tractor. I have always used high test gas in all my small engines, including that I mix for 2 cycle engines. I quit having such problems. Your problem. Does it die after getting warmed up, then when cool, run again? Needing to run on 3/4 choke sounds like a restriction in your fuel line, a clogged filter, or maybe the routing of the fuel line is allowing the gas to become hot and trying to vapor lock. If the adjustments are all as they should be, then I'd look at the line or the filter. What is the condition of the adjustment screws? Sometimes they have a shoulder on them and do not adjust gas or air properly. Also, a shoulder on your needle will cause some strange occurencesto happen with fuel in the engine.

Hi, All of the above seems to check out, I plan on putting together another carb and trying that. If it still acts up it is not the carb. I will let everyone know how that works out. Thank you all, this is a awesome place where we can come and share ideas. Greg

Here's my two cents... Is the engine getting hotter than mormal? Maybe a critter got in the engine and made a nest and clogged up the cooling air to the cylinder head? Have you pulled the spark plug after it starts to run bad to see if it's running lean or rich? If it's clean and dry then your too lean. If it's black or wet then it's too rich. Best of luck...

What about the spark when this happens? Maybe you might have a mag coil wanting to go south when things warm up.

Great news I hope, I built a carb out parts and went to put it on. I already had the manifold off to recheck that gasket. When I noticed that their was another gasket behind a thin metal plate that bolts to fly wheel cover. I removed that plate to find only part of one of those thin tan gaskets. I replaced that and put on the carb made of parts and now it runs great! I will put the other carb back on later just make sure it was the gasket. I really appreciate all of your input. Many thanks, Greg