Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allisgator Part 4 new tires and seat pan 11/20

tractormike

Here is my latest custom tractor project. It so far has parts from 4 different tractors in it, but mostly B-10 parts. The " gathering of the orange " will be in Hastings MN. next year and I want to have my " allisgator " done to take with my other allis garden tractors. Both rear ends will be powered from the same clutch but they will be shifted seperatly. I will have either 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. I have to get a new belt and make a spring loaded idler yet to try it out in 4 wheel drive. I have had it out driving around and it still steers pretty well. I have a set of tri rib tires to put on the front end and also a set of 8 inch wheel weights if it needs a little more help in the steering department. I plan on making a wood stake box to put on the rear seat pan. This is one of my winter projects, I'll keep you updated.

UPDATE ( PART 2 ) Here is an update on the Allisgator. I have the second rearend drive belt hooked up and the 4 wheel drive working. It's kind of cool driving it around. When it's in 4 wheel drive it turns quite well on grass, dirt and blacktop but it does skid the front wheels a bit on gravel. I'll get the tri ribs on the front and see how that helps. Here are a couple of pictures of my linkage setup connecting the 2 rear ends.

UPDATE Part 3 Here are a couple of pictures I had the wife take while I was out testing out the 4 wheel drive system. It worked quite well and the 2nd rear end has quite a bit of travel up and down for going over rough ground. The drive belt and idler pulley worked well and never came close to wanting to flip off of the pulley. The first 3 pictures show how much the 4 bar linkage will let the 2nd rear end travel. It goes up and over the bump smoothly. The last picture is of the new shoes for this project. They might make it harder to turn. I quess I'll find out. I just think it's worth the cool factor to have the ag tires on it. What do you guys think?

( PART 4 ) I managed to get an afternoon in the garage and got all 6 new tires mounted on the allisgator today. The rear rims are blasted and powder coated. The front ones are sandblasted and just spray painted. I am leaning on putting a flat seat pan on the front rear end. I think I like the looks better that way. In the pictures the new seat pan is just sitting on it but I think that's the way I'm going to build it. I'm also thinking of going with allis orange instead of yellow. The simplicity orange of the seat pans is kind of growing on me and I like the way it looks. I am still going to use the round hood for the front. I had it out playing with the new tires on it and the old girl will really climb. I went up a real steep grass bank and the front wheels came off of the ground about 6 inches but the second rear end works as a powered wheelie bar and kept it from coming up over backwards and kept it climbing. It made for an interesting ride and I probably will not repeat the stunt but I was surprised at how well it did! ( sorry no pictures of that but my camera operator wasn't around at the time!) It will probably not have much more done on it till spring as the next step is tearing it down and painting it. It has been a fun project to see how a crazy idea can be made to actually work.

[img] /club2/attach/tractormike/IMG_1610.JPG[/img]

you can make the rear ends shift the same by. drilling and tapping a hole in the front shift rod that comes out of the back of the front rearend (if it isn't hardened test it with a file) and put a bolt (with an eye in it and removable loctite) then you could run a shaft from to tie the 2 rearends together

The link between the 2 rear ends is a 4 bar design somewhat like a 3 point hitch that lets the rear most rear end float up or down independent of the front rear end. It does not let the rear end twist side to side. In this way my belt should stay in line with the double pulley on the front rear end and the single pulley on the second rear end. As it will be pretty much a show tractor I figured I didn't need extreme performance. I think it will turn better when it is in only 2 wheel drive and not 4 wheel drive. I can't wait till I get the belt on and try out the 4 wheel drive part and see if it works as good as I hope it will. A fellow club member is working on a 4 wheeel drive articulated B series along with his collection of very nice restored allis tractors to have ready for the gathering of the orange show. We should have a pretty good group of tractors there.

quote:
Originally posted by tractormike
The link between the 2 rear ends is a 4 bar design somewhat like a 3 point hitch that lets the rear most rear end float up or down independent of the front rear end. It does not let the rear end twist side to side. In this way my belt should stay in line with the double pulley on the front rear end and the single pulley on the second rear end.
The belt will stay in line, however, the distance between the transmission shaft on the #1 axle and the transmission shaft on the #2 axle will change as the #2 axle moves up and down. You will need a spring loaded idler pulley to accomodate the distance change between the two transmission shafts and the resulting slack in the drive belt on the unloaded side.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking real good. That shifter linkage took some real head-scratching and pondering, I'll bet... Are you going to put a flat seat pan/fenders on the other one to match? Have you considered putting a "stake sides" on the back for hauling stuff. With a slick paint job, and nicely stained wooden stake sides, that could make a really neat looking mo-chine...

Kent, I am planning on making a wood stake box to put on the rear seat pan. By using the flat seat pan I can get about a 2 foot by 2 foot box on the pan and still have it dump if I want to. The B-10 pan with fenders would limit how wide I could build the box. If I could find another flat seat pan for the front rear end I'd put it on to see how it looks, but I plan on painting this to match my narrow front B-10 so they make a pair. I have the shifter for the 2nd rear end between the 2 rear ends so they shift seperatly. It makes some nice black marks on blacktop when you run the first tranny in 2nd gear and put the rear tranny in reverse!!!

Great job Mike! I was going to suggest a dump bed, but I see you already had that in mind. Stake side is going to look cool. Maybe you should call it a trucktor.:)

• 2 weeks later...
:DGreat update Mike!! That is looking real fine...... ;)Now post the first update pic on the other site so we know what ya look like!!:D Joe

Cool idea. I recon it would need weight to be real functional and the added weight would probably pull down the tractors torque values but if thats the job it has to do i looks like it will work.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like a nicely designed and well thought out plan. Hope that all keeps going well and that it will look good when finally painted. Benjamin

;)Mike, As it's mainly for show, how about setting up 3 Brinley's as a 3 bottom to hang on the back:D? Joe BTW, The wheels came out lookin real fine!!

• 3 weeks later...