Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I Love MY Briggs

Jovee

My Briggs. Other peoples Briggs are becoming quite annoying. Almost ready to pack things up outside for the winter. Have the blower tractor and the plow tractor ready for the snow. Getting colder here and running out of daylight after work which is about 6:30. But due to some last minute pleas from a few coworkers I decided to take on two last 'easy' projects to finish out the season. The first, I was told, was a bad ignition. It's now here because it needs a coil. Its a twin 16 horizontal shaft drive. Yay for me. The second was too much black smoke and then a wont start. The first guy is good with maintenance and not a problem child. The second guy should never be around anything with moving parts. After killing his last two push mowers by lubrication starvation I should have known this would be interesting. Its a 12 hp single. Crankcase was full of gas. Opened the drain plug and it came out like a fire hydrant. I dont think he could be that stupid. Managed to get the carb off and valve cover off before dark and saw the intake valve was moving. I want to find the needle lying in the bottom of the bowl. Would that be asking to much? Otherwise it will be a long winter for I fear the worst. Daylight savings at the end of the month. Maybe Santa will bring me a garage this year. I love MY Briggs ^

Sounds like my life story also except my friends is a troublesome Tecumseh. I work on equipment on my patio as my tools are right inside the door, and I have been asking Santa for a garage for more years than I have fingers. I am an auto mechanic and do work on some things at the shop after hours during the winter so atleast that is a good thing. The owner said I could put a shed there for storage also but have yet to decide if I want to go that route or just bite the bullet and build a garage.

Tom, I think my best bet is to move out of the big city. It's no place for someone like me. A barn would do me just fine too. I found the carb in working order. Rats! Or mice. Pulled the shroud off and guess what I found in every crack and crevice? Mouse condo. With the mouse still home though I dont believe he's done much in the past year or so. No air circulation at all. Valves were still intact and no hole thru the piston. The head gasket wasnt much to look at but it couldn't be that easy. Compression was just barely 50. Taps may be in order for this one. How anxious should I feel?

I have a couple of older neighbors that either can't afford, or maybe I am just feeling sorry for, that have lawnmower problems constantly, and some stupid volunteered! So, I am the neighborhood mechanic. The only request I make is that they only bring something when they see me outside in my shop tinkering. My shop is a 12x16 building I built for storage, the actual workspace is in front of it! I do have a bench and vise, power, lights, air compressor and other assorted and sundry toys to use, though. Fixed a 'locked up' mower for the preacher that moved in next door a while back..had no oil at all in the block. When asked when was the last time he added some, he replied "I have to put oil in it?" A crankcase full of gas may well be as simple as he forgot to turn the gas off, likely, he doesn;t know he is supposed to. Finally ruined the needle, or the needle is stuck?

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
Fixed a 'locked up' mower for the preacher that moved in next door a while back..had no oil at all in the block. When asked when was the last time he added some, he replied "I have to put oil in it?"
My nextdoor neighbor 'Tarzan the Tractor Crusher" pulled one of those too. That same mower was just fixed again for a different reason. He wonders why I don't let him use my riders. Fuel shutoff wasn't an issue. He claims it all happened while it was running and did not fill the wrong hole. Float and needle looked good and were operating normally when I took it apart. I want a giant gaping hole to appear in the block to get out of this one. I told him to come and browse the yard for a new one but they dont come any cheaper than him-

What is wrong with 2 strokes? I hate them too, but, 2 cycle toys are a necessity when the wife wants you to do something for her that you really do not want to do. Simply crank up and start walking around. If you can still hear, take the mufflers off!!! Naw! while it was running? Call Guiness, cause you have something there that should be in their books! That gas had to go through the carburetos to get into the crankcase, and that much gas would have killed the engine, choked it to death! Check aslo the crankcase vent/breather. Stopped up, it will suck more gas in than normal, also suck oil through the rings, actually vent it through. but a crankcase full? never heard of such while an engine was running. Still believe it to be the needle and/or seat.

I have a feeling he isnt telling me the whole story and will grill him when I get to work. The black smoke he claims to have seen would explain the fuel overload but should not have ran long with that much being dumped. Him trying to restart it would explain the excess but it was like the tank emptied into the case. The breather unit was full of gas too. Rubber tipped needle passed the upside down blow thru test so its seating. Didnt see anything in the bowl that would have jammed it open. It was suprisingly clean inside. Hello Guinness?

Guinness hasn't called back yet. Went against the evidence and picked up the carb rebuild kit and a new float despite the tip of the needle being soft and no fluid sloshing around in the float. Add an enema and a new head gasket and hope for the best. The biggest problems have a tendency of being so trivial around here. Nothing surprises me anymore.