Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I saw a John Deere 110 ....

while recently visiting a local small engine shop. It was one of those that has the round fenders. I have to admit it really looked cool. After doing some research I find that parts and attachments are still fairly easy to find and reasonably priced compared to Pow'rmax stuff. Would you guys turn me away if I mixed a little green with my red & white?

Green! Arrrggghhh!!! Oh, My eyes! LOL If you like it buy it. It is not up to us to judge you. As Kent said, you will learn on your own when you have to work on it. They are pretty good machines, from what I hear. Just difficult and expensive to work on.

They are difficult to work on because they are not built as simple as an AC/Simplicity... As far as I know is that you can get almost any part for them, but putting them on is the problem. Benjamin

I aquired my dads JD208 after the engine in my LandLord died.After using it one winter,with a snowblower,I fixed the engine on the 'plicity. PITA to hook up attachments,for one thing.Not very user friendly WRT maintenance,etc.Also,I sat in an awkward position in relationship to a Simplicity.

I took a closer look at the JD 110 today and now see what all of you meant by more complicated. Convoluted is probably a better word for the mechanics. I was also surprised that the hood was made of plastic. The rounded fenders sure look nice though. OK, if not a JD what other tractor do you guys like? Dismiss immediately those that have that integral fender and body look. I no likey.

I bought my used John Deere 160 over 10 years ago and the only repairs I had to make were to replace the brake pads twice. It is always there waiting to take over when my 8 A/C or Simplicitys decide to act up. Who cares how hard they are to work on if they never need repairs?

quote:
Originally posted by bkassulke
They are difficult to work on because they are not built as simple as an AC/Simplicity... As far as I know is that you can get almost any part for them, but putting them on is the problem. Benjamin
I don't see how JD's are so difficult to work on and maintain?? My past 140 and current 300 are pretty simple--no complex belt system to maintain. Also a more efficient drive line since it is only a drive shaft instead of drive shaft to belt. The easiest tractors to work on by far though are the IH Cub Cadets, especially the narrow frame models. Nothing compares to their ease of maintenance and pure accessibility. I can have any component in my Cub 73 out and most likely taken apart in less than an hour, this includes the engine, transmission and clutch assembly.

Beeser, you asked, if not a JD, what other tractors do we like? Well, for some strange reason, I have been very enamored with the old Power King/Economy tractors, especially the early ones. They are built very tough, and can do a heck of a lot of work. They all came with big Wisconsins, Briggs or Kohler single cylinder engines and later models had dual trannies for almost infinite power ratio/speed adjustments. And, they are ORANGE, almost the same as Simplicity. I'm thinking of buying one as soon as some $ I am owed comes in, so, we'll see

Beeser: I like these, (Wheelhorse GT-14) and I'm in the process of adopting one, though it is considerably rougher than this one. It's a 14 h.p. hydro. Oh! And mine has a 3-pt. hitch on it--presumably, Cat. 0. It has a 48" deck and is bigger, heavier and more powerful than the 2110 Landlord I'm used to, so it's not really fair to compare the two. But the bigger deck and the fact that it doesn't float with the front axle, like a Simplicity, means it does scalp where the Landlord's deck won't. Here is this pic of some other guy's GT-14: [url]http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/8001/gt14.html[/url] Peter

Beeser, The hood on the JD 110 is fiberglass and if not broke or cracked, I have seen them fetch over $250.00 alone on ebay. I am not a big fan of JD but the old 110`s aren`t a bad looking tractor and if you can get it for a desent price you could make some good money selling it on eBay as a complete tractor or parting it out. Very collectable in the JD groups/ clubs.

I restored a 1967 JD 110 4 years ago, I use this tractor for mowing and spraying, it is one great little unit. I also use it for fertilizing 3 acres. I use my small tractors for the little jobs. I also restored a Bolens G14 tube frame that I now use for my leaf vacuum instaed of my 620 Allis. The Bolens tube frame tractors are super tough. I am also going to restore a 1050 and a 1054 Bolens both tube frames. Floydster

Morris - I like the PowerKing. Now, where is it that you had a lead on one? Seems there's a common thread to all of the tractors that appeal to me. They all have separate fenders and not the molded foot rest and fender look. Hard to describe but the later just makes all of the tractors look alike. What else turns me off is the streamlined hoods that are put on the current manufactured crop, designed as if they're supposed to go 70 mph down the highway.

Beeser, Styles of all tractors, even farm tractors, have changed with the times and somewhat with newer automobile styling. The JD110 you mentioned earlier is really more of a collectors item. The later style 110's and 112s are very difficult to work on. I had a 112 but would have had to remove the entire seat and fender assembly to get good access to my belts, which the belt system on this tractor was far more complicated than on my Simplicitys. If you're looking for something with round fenders you won't find much of anything with them thats any newer than the late 60's or 70's. Sears Suburbans were last to have those fenders. Early bolens tube frames had rounded fenders. The old masssy 10's, 12's, and 14's didn't have round fenders but they do have a real vintage look. I have not had any problems working on the masseys and they are built very well.

I almost got a JD110, just didnt like the fiberglass, personal thing i guess. I can barly fix metal stuff so I didnt want to wonder into fiberglass.

Beeser, that is exactly what I have thought...what is the point of streamlined hoods on a tractor that runs 4 mph???? Ditto flashy graphics...puh-lease! I like 'em functional and tough. A pretty tractor to me just begs to not get dirty (EEEEK!) Guess that's why I liked my Simplicity, and why the Power Kings hold an attraction to me. They don't apologize for what they are, nor try to be what they aren't. But, I do know how they got streamlined...they discovered fibergalss was cheaper, and when you got a lot of knives and forks, ya gotta cut something, so they designed and tweaked and redesigned and voila!, Sporty Tractors! As to the Power King, I joined the Power King group also (a yahoo group) and made some inquiries and the guys have sent me info on about 5 for sale among them. May buy a '52 unstyled (no hood or gauge panel) from one guy. They run from about $500 to $2500 from what I've seen.

Morris - I browsed around the PowerKing Yahoo site and agree the PKs are nice looking no nonsense machines. It would be my first choice for a second tractor but I like the idea someone stated earlier about having something smaller, especially when I have the Pow'rmax. Curious, how do they compare in size with the Pow'rmax? That said, I'm still leaning in the direction of the JD 110. It's definitely smaller and parts/attachments seem to be readily available. I still haven't seen a Bolens tube frame tractor that someone suggested. Any leads on where a picture can be found?

Powerkings are great tractors. I would have to say that out of all the garden tractors I have ever saw they are the most like a big farm tractor. They are built TOUGH! They have a small 3 speed tranny with a clutch and pressure plate that looks just like something that came out of a car except much smaller. I have a 2414 (24 in rear wheels and a 14 hp kohler) Power king that I am getting ready to restore (maybe build a loader or backhoe or both for not sure yet). John Deere made some great garden tractors. I don't think that they are hard to work on. If they are harder to work on at least it pays off they hold thier value the best.

quote:
Originally posted by brooksdr
Powerkings are great tractors. I would have to say that out of all the garden tractors I have ever saw they are the most like a big farm tractor. They are built TOUGH! They have a small 3 speed tranny with a clutch and pressure plate that looks just like something that came out of a car except much smaller. I have a 2414 (24 in rear wheels and a 14 hp kohler) Power king that I am getting ready to restore (maybe build a loader or backhoe or both for not sure yet).
IIRC the Power King tractor wasn't even designed to compete with any of the John Deere or Simplicity offerings, it was geared more towards the Farmall Cub tractor as competition. As the story goes the Farmall probably won that one--4 cylinders vs. 1, hydraulic lift, rear PTO, availability of Woods mowers (which are still available new today), and sales numbers of well over 250k from its production run of 1947?-1965?. Forgot to add that this was before the Powermax was introduced, so in effect, a comparison between the Power King, Farmall Cub and the Powermax is more of an apples to oranges comparison. The John Deere 140 was originally designed to compete with the Farmall Cub tractor but its focus changed to run against the Cub 125, 127, 147, and 149.

I never said that it was designed to compete with anything. I just said it was a well built tractor, but since you brought it up. The powerking I have is a 1977 model....Thats about the same year as my powermax. They are both large frame garden tractors of about the same era, both were built cut grass and plow a garden....so how is that a apples to oranges comparision?????

I'm not sure, but I think the Economy's (Power King, Country Squire, Jim Dandy, Red E, and other offerings) were designed for those who couldn't afford the Farmall's and such, a cheap--but not cheaply built--alternative. Not totally sure on that, but that is the impression I got from early literature I've seen posted. As for size, they came in little garden tractor size to some about the size of a Farmall Cub. They came in 16, 24 and even bigger rear wheels, that I have seen. Biggest mower deck I have seen is about a 60" The one I am going to buy (a '52) has a 48" deck. Prices not too bad. If the deal is settled, I'll pay 800 for it, just needs a good paint job. But, really, in terms of preference, it's whatever flips your cookies...I just like the looks of the PK's, and I really have no need for any garden tractor...mowing a 1/3 acre town lawn requires a push mower, no more. But there's a lady down the road with a smaller lawn who uses a vintage '48 Farmall Cub. That's another tractor I'm very fond of, too, by the way.