Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I saw a John Deere 110 ....

I'd kind of like to have one of everything JD-Cub-power king-snapper, etc just for the fun of working on them and getting them going. But if I got any of them I don't think I'd tell anyone on here. Just kidding look forward to all the chatter and conments from al ya all. Ken

OK, I looked at the Bolens tube frame, PowerKing and MF mentioned earlier. The only one that comes close to the look I'm after is the PowerKing but it's about the same size as my Pow'rmax. Is there anything else that has the same looks and size as the JD 110?

Kinda like the looks of this. [img]http://www.ihregistry.com/cd1/originals/Myron.jpg[/img] Picture is from http://www.ihregistry.com/ It is a Cub Cadet Original from 1961-63. Model numbers 70 & 100 from 1964-65 and 71 & 72 from late 60s also use the round fenders.

Besser, They made all differet sizes of powerkings. They made some smaller models not much bigger or about the same size as a 110. Those old cubs are nice too.

Saw another one. Doesn't have round fenders but they are separate. It doesn't have that moulded platform look to it. The list is growing. John Deere 102 Powerking, the small one I haven't seen a picture of yet. International Cadet 70 Cub Cadet 102

quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
OK, I looked at the Bolens tube frame, PowerKing and MF mentioned earlier. The only one that comes close to the look I'm after is the PowerKing but it's about the same size as my Pow'rmax. Is there anything else that has the same looks and size as the JD 110?
Couple of us have an Ecomony, here's mine: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49440 Mine came with a 60" mower deck. It weighs a ton and part of it is their lifetime mower blades. I think they are a half inch thick.

What makes this worth the $5k asking price? http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-ANTIQUE-JOHN-DEERE-RIDING-MOWER-110-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ7718119383QQcategoryZ50374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Why are the Cub Cadets so hard to work on?" Deck is difficult to put on/take off due to the 4 point scissor linkage design. Plus it nearly ruined my lawn it scalped it so bad. Reaching the steering box to fix the floppy steering is very difficult. The seat and fenders are firmly attached so you cannot easily get to anything on the transaxle. With one wheel drive it spent a lot of time getting stuck on my hillside. I forget the rest but I much prefer my AC's and Simplicities.

quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
What makes this worth the $5k asking price? http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-ANTIQUE-JOHN-DEERE-RIDING-MOWER-110-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ7718119383QQcategoryZ50374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That is what he would like to get. It should be watched to see if the bidding even gets close. People I have talked to all to think that Deeres are really overpriced. My cousin bought a JD420 with a 60" mower deck at an auction (1 of 8) last year. His was the first item of the day and really not bad. He paid $2500.00 for his and the rest all sold between $4500-5000 each after the crowd woke up. He had to pay $35.00 for an operator's manual and wasn't to impressed.

A 1964 is not worth that much. I don't think anyone would pay that. It does have a low serial number (4701) for that year. (1964 serials 3,551 - 15,000) The only 110's I have ever seen bring close to that much are 1963 model. It was the first year for the 110 and they only built 1000 of them and the all had fiberglass rear fenders(only 1963 had these) if you ever see one that the serial number is between 2,550 - 3,550 you better buy it if it is cheap. I have seen them bring 2500 as a complete basket case. All the cub cadets I have had where a good tractor. The mower deck worked good and was very easy to remove. I have never seen any old garden tractors that "where hard to work on", but some take more time doing certain jobs. Now try wrenching on a late model JD or simplicity with liquid cooled diesel or fuel injection engine that won't start. Or diagnosing hydrostatic steering, foot controled trans with electronic cruise control, dash with gauges. Most of the new tractors aren't realy that much bigger than the old ones. So spaces are very tight. Would make anyone think how hard are any of these old tractor to work on.....

Fortunately collecting is not an avenue I care to explore. If it's not doing something useful for me I don't care to have it around.

quote:
Originally posted by brooksdr
I agree 100%. I just find the stuff and sell it to the collectors.....
Just remember my investment strategy. Buy high, sell low.

Went by a place today that had med.sized Power King by the road W/ duals, dual trans. and hydro lift. I had to stop on the way back because he had a B-12 sitting behind it. I didn't look for a price. I knew I couldn't afford either one.

The crown jewel of the round hooded B-series. http://simpletractors.com/models/b_series/1966_cat/b-12.htm [img]/images/b_series_images/ac_b-12.jpg[/img]

Hey, I noticed the steering wheel battery mount in the classifieds said B12 was chrome up to the steering wheel. Was that the only year (B12) which had that? Yes, the B12 is unique.

All the round hooded foot draggers from the early B-10 to the late B-10 and B12 had chrome on the bottom of the steering column around where it goes under the dash. The Landlords of the same years also had that.

I can attest to the power of the cub cadets, I have 4 of the older modles, a 72 round fender, a 102, a 122, gear drive flat fender and a 123 hydrostactic drive flat fender with a home made loader on it. So far I have not been able to locate a simplicity or A-C garden tractor in these parts. But I do have fun with the cubs I own.

Oh, by the way, cub cadets are not all that hard to work on. I can change a clutch in my 72,or 102,or 122 in under 30 minutes with the simplest of hand tools.

I can't see any vintage garden tractor being worth 5K. Just like cars, you can spend 30K restoring one and have a 10K car. There's always the optimist, though, that will believe you can get your money back when you sell it. Just not true in my experience, and I don't see it with this JD. 1500 to me would be generous.

just hook a jd110 to a 725 and pull back to back that will show you which one is worth anything that crazy JD variable speed will shift down and quit pulling. I know my dad had a new one in 66, Iwas glad when he got a new 310 AC with 42" mower and 36" tiller. Cal