Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

They are cleaning their garages out...

SmilinSam

Time to run the wanted junk tractor & lawn equipment ads, as it seems the big pre winter cleanup is on everyones minds. This week I bagged several units but most notably a 2000psi Pressure washer( newer style) and a 18/42 MTD Ranch king free for the taking. The pressure washer had been sitting out in the weather all year and wouldnt run. HAd spark, and started when gas was sqiirted in the carb. Lubed up all the throttle linklages, Rapped the carb body with a hammer a coupel of times, and proceeded to start it while pushing the primer bulb to keep it running. Kept pushing the primer while running till it got good and hot at which time it started to run on its own. Pump works good too. Seems this method works 2 out of three times for me on these newer tecumseh fixed speed carbs that have been sitting a while. Then the MTD had 4 flat tires and a 18 hp Briggs twin cylinder. Seems like the tractor had wirng problems is why it was retired. All I did here was bypass the wiring and ran a wire direct from the battery to the starter. Put a little gas in the carb to prime it and wallah! it runs ok. This engine is destined to replace the worn out 16hp in a Allis 616 lawn tractor I'm picking up on Sunday. 8)

Picked a few items for free this past season for resale. Two older Snobird Snowblowers. The engines were worth more then as a whole so they were pulled and I junked the rest. Two junk walkbehinds. took off useful parts and junked the rest. One older TORO walkbehind, all it needed was a throttle cable. Resold that. One 2005 model Ryobi (AYP Brand) walkbehind that was missing it's blade adapter and blade. Going to put that out for sale this week. Picked up 2 Mid 90's MTD riders within a week of each other. They were pretty much exactly the same except one was badged as an Agway and the other a Montgomery Ward. All they needed was a good carb cleaning and other misc stuff. Turned around and sold them two weeks later. Almost had a late 90's craftsman self-propelled walkbehind to resell that wouldn't start. A neighbor gave it to me. All it needed was carb cleaning and a spark plug. I say almost, because I know they couldn't afford a new mower I gave it right back to them after I fixed it.

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
I keep wanting to run an add, I'm just afrade of what I'll get and what the wife will say! lol Elon
Yeah... It could get you in trouble with the MRS real quick depending on what and how much you bring home. Me, I got most of the bases covered. Got a 16' tandem trailer I immediately throw all the unwanted and picked over frames and scrap on.When it gets full I call my scrap guy and he comes gets it and brings it back empty unless he has a Tractor hes picked up, then it comes back with a tractor or two to pick over. I'd like to make a place behind the treeline where I could park whole parts tractors to go over later. Firewoods in the way at the moment though so I need to find a new spot. Like Nick, a little charity work is deemed necesary from time to time. Last week I donated the 5216 /48" deck/blade/chains I had all revived to a local benefit auction for a family I know thats dealing with costs of cancer treatments. I just hope it brings a fair amount this time of year. Since the scrap guy hauls my stuff away in timely fashion I usually offer to take any scrap iron that the people giving me lawn equipment want to throw away too to help them clean up. Got everything from wood burning stoves to air compressors...

I've been thinking of running an add also but think I'll wait till spring when the stuff won't start from sitting over the winter. "Wanted unwanted outdoor equipment: $$ for some". I did manage to pick up free a Massey MF8 Hydro, a MTD 18Hp with plow and a MTD bagger push for free in the last two weeks w/o an add.

Thanks for the reminder,Sam,I'll have to place an ad next week in the free ad paper.I keep with Simplicity A/C in the ad,because there are about a dozen or so other ads that state they want free dead pushmowers,tractors,tillers,etc. Sticking with one brand,and offering $$$ usually works.