Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fluid in tires.

Alpha8D

Wiindshield washer fluid -25F stuff 94 cents a gallon at Walmart last night. Check your store. Bought 12 gals and ready to try it this evening. Just hoping my wimpy paint compressor w/o tank will seal the beads again. It's got the pressure, just wimpy volume and no tank. I'll be real careful to only break one bead enough to drizzle the juice in. I'm assuming I need some air in there to keep them pressurized and not too hard. I don't have tubes.

The normal amount is ussually at or just above the top of the rim w/ the tire standing up. This will allow you enough air to keep the tires inflated and allow for temp. exspantion.

DONE! I put 7.5 gals in each rear tire. Laying on their side that was still about 1/2" below where the bead seals on the rim. Tough to break the bead, took a 2x4, smll block of wood and 2 bar clamps but they finally popped down. Re-seating the beads just happened by itself after block was removed and the tire relaxed back onto rim. No problem. Rear wheels now weigh 85# each without any wheel weights. Mowed hilly church lawn Sun evening and no longer tippy. Climbed straight up the hill with no slipping too! Very happy! Tires are 10.5" wide on 12" rims.

Didn't mention it but I also added 1/2 gal of antifreeze with rust inhibiter in each tire. Can't hurt. Calcium Chloride would certinly eat rims up but I doubt this will. Any other opinions?

quote:
Originally posted by a7117puller
better put in an order for another set of rims. doin that will eat em up
Please explaine how Washer Fluid will rust out a rim. I do belive only water and salt will rust steel and there is no water or salt in washer fluid. It's a oil based substance isnt it? All I can see happening, "over a long time", is the rubber will break down. I have a few loaded with WW and have had no problems, except having too much traction. I have no fear plowing snow and somtimes push too far.:D:D:D

Adam The tires and wheels on my 7790 loaded with Calcium Chloride are older than you are. The tires and wheels were on my 1970 Bolons 14hp then on my 1975 Simplicity7016 Then on my 1985 7790. It is not the combination of Calcium Chloride and water that causes them to rust though, you also need oxygen. As long as the tires remain sealed the wheels will not rust though.