Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RE: Testing ignition coil

buddy10297

Hi, I have a 8hp horizontal shaft Kohler engine. The ignition system does not spark. I checked the points and they are ok. I need directions to check the ignition coil and the ballast resistor. Thanks.

Here's a way to test it without a ohm meter. Put 12 Volts to the + side of the coil (if the coil you have uses a resistor put the 12 volts there) put the plug wire in the coil and put a known good spark plug in the wire and put the plug so the side of it is on a ground. A wire from ground touched to the - side of the coil will make it fire and the spark plug should spark if the coil is working. Just my way of testing it. Best of luck...

Hi, the coil is under the flywheel, it is not an external coil. I checked the points on the block and they are ok. I tried again and still didn't see a spark. Do you guyz think the outside condenser is the problem? Or is it the coil? Any ideas? The model number is 181T and the Spec no. is 30483d , would anyone be able to tell me where to get the parts manual from? I went to the Kohler site to look for the parts manual and was unable to find the part number for the condenser and points. Ebay has a condensor up for sale with the part number and I want to make sure it matches the part number for my condensor. Thanks.

Sorry didn't notice you said it was a horizontal shaft engine. The part your calling a coil is called an ingition modual I think? Rare for this to fail. Not much to it to fail except the spark plug wire coming out of it. Have you checked the flywheel where the magnets are for rust? This can give you the problem your having. There is also a small wire coming out of the modual that goes to the kill switch. If this wire gets shorted to ground then you will get no spark. Have you pulled the points off to inspect them closely? If they are not making contact then you need to take a flat file and clean them up. Make sure you re-adjust them properly and look to see if they open while turning the engine over by hand. Best of luck...