Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I think the number is 3.

Three seems to be the correct number of tractors needed in an old tractor inventory. One of course to use. Another to use as well but dedicated for a different purpose. Also needed to tow the primary tractor back to the garage in case it fails. Lastly, a third tractor to work on and wait almost indefinitely for parts. There you have it, a plan.:D

I happen to like the number 4. I've been shooting for three but just can't seem to get there. I have one that is dedicated to mowing,1 that is dedicated to digging and grading, 1 for towing and the fourth is just for playing with whatever odd attachment happpens to be laying around.:p

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
We need to clarify something here... are we talking running, working tractors?
Impossible Kent. One's got to be in some stage of repair. With tractors this old the odds are against all of them working. That is if you are using them.

quote:
Originally posted by Mick14
I think your right about the #3,and since i only have 2 ,i can continue to look for another one.
You have our permission.

Point of order here. Does a powermax count as 2 regular frame tractors?? Since they're capable of doing twice the work.

So I need 2 more, my 7117 does everything for me. Yes it does take a few minutes to change attachments. I have the tiller, front blade, mower and blower. They made them so easy that I can change attachments too easy for that second tractor. I have to take the deck off a couple of times during the summer to sharpen blades, or more likely when you need a another attachment during the summer it is a good reason to sharpen blades. I have Al's repower Kit and I would need another operator for another tractor.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Point of order here. Does a powermax count as 2 regular frame tractors?? Since they're capable of doing twice the work.
Not with any implements they ain't. :(

Best example of why you need two tractors: snowblower and snow blade -- you never know which one you'll need until it's time to use it... and who wants to change attachments at 5 AM in a cold barn or garage?

Thankfully with my blacktop drive, an inch of snow will melt on most days with little salt. Otherwise I can keep the snowblower down scraping as good as a blade. I know that that is more difficult on gravel, but on gravel we always packed some snow down so we did not blow gravel with snowblower.

Feel right at home with the Wal Mart special for mowing (soon to be retired by the 620), the 620 for yard work, the d-17 (does it count?), and the Allis Homesteader as the non-running basket case.

You need at least three to avoid switching implements too often! Really cool to be able to leaf vac leaves, plow them and sweep them up. Then in the winter it's nice to have two plows and a snow blower handy.

Hmmm, just in time. I just bought tractor # 3 today...or at least nailed it down, the Power King I had my eye on. That brings me to number 3. I DO NOT count "riding mowers" as tractors, or then I'd have 6. Thus, this thread is just in time. When wifey sees # 3, I can point to this site as an absolutely authoritative source which delimits and defines "3" (THREE) as the minimum number of necessary tractors. :-D

This sounds like the "Tractors Anoynomous" support group joke I sent out last year. BTW: I'll clarify my answer as 3 runners.

What if you have 6 in the sheds and 2 outside covered with tarps.Do I really need all these or do I have a serious problem? My wife thinks I am normal but my kids definately think I do have a problem and have offered to bring in a dumpster.

I see, based on the comments posted here, that what we need is some social engineering. Let's have those of you with more than 3 tractors distribute the excess to the less fortunate.

quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
I see, based on the comments posted here, that what we need is some social engineering. Let's have those of you with more than 3 tractors distribute the excess to the less fortunate.
Come on over to Fairfield County Connecticut... Runners sold first, fixing all the others. Only stripping to worst.