Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Head gasket

GWGAllisfan

What does a leaking head gasket sound like? Would it be a pumping sound when cranking and a loud "Ting" when it fires? Then runs OK once it starts? Also is it normal to have stong airflow out of the grill on an FDT? And a lazy man question: Can you change a head gasket on a briggs single with out pulling the engine?

The couple of head gaskets i've replaced didn't make any sound at all, Changing one isn't hard at all. Can you get a new one locally? important! each bolt that you remove must go back in the hole it came from, you can't mix them up, they are different lengths and don't consider using the old gasket again. This may not be the problem. Is there a local engine shop that you could take it to for a diagnosis ?

You can change the head gasket on a B-1 without removing the engine. I've done it a couple of times. Don't see why it cannot be done on the other FDT's.

You can change the gasket. Yes the gasket could be leaking causing the noise. It could also be a loose plug. You will have to remove the head, careful to keep the bolt location as some are longer around the exhaust valve, and look at the gasket and head for damage and distortion. There usually isn't much damage to the block but the head can warp, or be burnt through or valleyed out where the breach occurred. Check this with a steel straight edge for flatness. Replace if damaged.

I know that you can do it on B1's wonderboy 700's and 7116 h since I have done it on all of them. I have a 7116 that is leaking,When cranking it makes a hissing sound.It is a little under power with the leak but I have cut the grass with the 48 inch mower all summer.Bob

I bought a 12 Hp Kohler for $50 because of a leaking head gasket. The guy replaced the engine instead of replacing the gasket. He had tried tightening the gasket, but that never helps after it starts leaking. Oil and carbon get caught in the dimples on the gasket and that portion of the gasket will not compress when tightened, so it will leak on each side of that area. The head and block surfaces must be cleaned and the gasket replaced. Good for me that the guy who replaced the engine didn't understand about head gaskets. I will clear up one other thing also. I didn't rip the guy off. I didn't see the engine till after it was paid for and delivered to my house. A friend told me about it and said that the guy was going to throw it away if he didn't get $50 for it. It was said to be worn out and in need of a rebuild. I figured for that price, I could afford to bore and rebuild it. The friend picked it up and brought it to me. I didn't find the leaky gasket till it was delivered to my house. Sometimes it just pays to be lucky.

If you hear a hiss when turning the engine over then the gasket is leaking. If it is then don't run it that way for long or you will be needing a new or used cylinder head. My 3212H was leaking when I got it and I asked the PO how long it had been doing this. He said for a while. I found the cylinder head melted on the surface where the gasket seals. Tried JB Weld and a new gasket but it only lasted for one snow removal before the gasket went again. Ended up getting very lucky to have one of the members here sell me a nice used one for short money. Best of luck...

Basic rule of thumb, NEVER reuse gaskets. Murphy's law anything that can go wrong will go wrong, anything that can't go wrong will go wrong, if its imposable to go wrong it will still go wrong.

Thanks. Ok one more question. This parrticular engine has no briggs tag with model number. I believe it to be a 12 HP. Is that gasket different than the one for a 10HP? I have no problem buying both to be sure if I have to. It runs good with good power and good compression, but that pumping sound worries me...

I don't think any of the older engines (10 thru 16 HP) had tags on them. The model, type and code numbers were stamped into the shroud. My 10 HP is stamped on the carb side of the shroud, my 13 HP is stamped on the opposite side and my 16 is stamped on the top of the shroud. I believe the 9 HP, 23D had a tag or plate on it with the numbers. The 9 and 10 HP engine head gaskets are Briggs part #692230. The 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 HP engine head gaskets are part #692231. The strong airflow out the grill probably means you don't have a mouse nest under the shroud.:)

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Basic rule of thumb, NEVER reuse gaskets. Murphy's law anything that can go wrong will go wrong, anything that can't go wrong will go wrong, if its imposable to go wrong it will still go wrong.
And if the ods are 50/50 that it won't go wrong......9 out of 10 times..... it will go wrong.

Rod, I for one would not have thought you were ripping the guy off even if you had seen or heard the engine running. He set his price and you paid it. If he had asked for your opinion or you had worked on it and reccomended he buy a replacement and then offered to "dispose" of the old engine at no charge I might say, "Yep, you ripped him off"

As I said, my friend told me about it. I gave him the money and he picked it up. When we unloaded it from his truck, he said look at this. There was a deposit and dirt buildup that started at the head, about three inches wide and got narrower as it went down the cylinder. He looked at me and said what do you think. I immediately answered with "head gasket". He said, "that was my thought when we carried it to the truck". I replaced the gasket and the engine ran fine. In fact we used it on a pulling tractor for two years. No conspiracy on our part. He had not seen the engine till he paid for it and they picked it up to load it. As I have said many times: "It is better to be lucky than to be good".