Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vibratach vs. Tiny-Tach

Well, this is not a competition between Vibratach and Tiny-Tach tachometers but a comparison of the two based on my observations after purchasing and briefly using both. Both tachometers were easy to use and installation of the Tiny-Tach was simple by just wrapping one wire around one spark plug lead about 4 times and installing a ground wire. While the Vibratach was easy to use by extending the wire to a specific RPM, I found it a little frustrating trying to find the engine RPM that resonated with the wire's length. Without the Tiny-Tach as a guide, I didn't know whether I was below or above my target RPM. But the Vibratach does work and would be great if you had a lot of small engines to check. For my needs though the Tiny-Tach is better in my opinion. Not only does it give an accurate (at least it matches the Vibratach) RPM indication it also stores the amount of time the engine is running. And as a bonus the hour meter can be reset on the one I purchased, Model TT226R-2C. Makes it a convenient reminder when to change oil, etc.

Beeser, I have owned both as well. the tiny tach is better in my opnion and I resold the vibratach on ebay for near what I paid for it.

Beeser, I am glad you did the comparison and found that they both agree, which verifies the accuracy. I do not need a tach mounted on any of my work tractors. In the past I have had tachs on many pulling tractors. I like the ease of use and portability of the vibratach. It fits in my pocket and requires no hook-ups. All I ever use it for is checking the max rpm at WOT, and idle speed. When pulling, I was a certified NTPA, then ATPA, technical inspector. I got very comfortable with the vibratach that we used to check max governor setting on every stock tractor that pulled, at each pull. Believe me, that is a lot of experience with the unit, with over 100 hooks at most pulls and after having pulled for 20 years. I just think the vibratach is a neat little gadget and it is cheap. If I wanted a tach on the tractor, I'd probably go with an automobile tach. They can be modified to run on the one cylinder engines. I had one on my 61 Wards when I first started pulling it back in 1985.

Rod - I didn't need a tach mounted on my tractor either but since I bought the Tiny-Tach it seemed a waste not to use it. Besides, it gives a nice reminder when to change oil, etc. not having an hour meter. If or when I get another tractor I'll probably just use the Vibratach for tuning purposes.

Beeser, I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other. All I was doing was explaining why "I" liked the vibratach. As I have said many times, my opinions are usually quite different than the average guy. I agree that the vibratach has one disadvantage. When you are trying to set the governor to a specific speed, you have to test, reset, test, reset, and repeat as necessary, till you get the desired setting. The tiny tach reads directly so that you can watch the tach reading as you adjust and go directly to the desired setting. The tiny tach has the disadvantage that it doesn't directly work on all engines. You have to know whether the coil fires off the crank or off the camshaft in order to get the correct reading. Being of a mechanical nature, I just like things that work without wires and batteries. We all formulate our own opinions. Other people's opinions have opened my eyes many times. That is what I like about this site. I can still learn things in my old age. LOL

I have so many working tractor/mowers/ZTRs that I use at different times I need someting to tell me its time to change the oil. And the Chopper can be over RPMed so it needs a tach. I have a vibratach in my tool box and love it.