Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad Design Day

Not only was it a bad hair day, my design ideas didn't work out very well today either. What you see below was an attempt to mount the Tiny-Tach mentioned in another post. It wasn't enough to leave well enough alone with the double-edged tape approach. OK, I laid bare my embarrassment. Anyone care to top it?

The thing you have to remember is you only learn by doing, trial and error. Other than cutting into the dash, you have little options to mount it.

Wait a minute! If the tach mounting plate was enlarged and part of it was bent in the horizontal position, I might be able to incorporate a cup holder into the design.

Should have seen my attempt to mount a new battery cable on my 700. So intent was I on getting it properly routed and so forth that I didn't check to be sure that the terminal end was lower than the dash. It was sticking up and when I lowered the hood, it came in contact with the bare end of terminal. Yep, it was the positive terminal. It was right sparky. :D

Sounds familiar Morris. I replaced the circuit breaker on my Pow'rmax once and didn't check the clearance between it and the hood. Surprise!

measure once measure twice then do it agian just to make sure the other two measuements are right. But we'll all gave you an A+ for effort. Ken

Can't tell from your pic but I am assuming you do not have an original factory meter. So why not mount it there, below the steering wheel? The base looks very similar to a factory unit.

quote:
Originally posted by JimS
Can't tell from your pic but I am assuming you do not have an original factory meter. So why not mount it there, below the steering wheel? The base looks very similar to a factory unit.
I don't have a factory meter. There's just a blank where one would go and the hole is a lot smaller than the Tiny-Tach. I didn't want to ugly-up the dash by cutting it.

Why do you need to see it? Mount it under the hood out of sight. You need the tach to make sure that you have the governor set right and the hour meter to keep an eye on service. Setting the engine speed under operation is best done by ear and feel.