Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is it?

Finally a Simplicity tractor offered in SoCal but what is it? http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-Garden-Tractor_W0QQitemZ7719007497QQcategoryZ66761QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It has to be a 1975 early System 7016 as the 3400 series in that style did not have a 16hp. Would be able to tell better if they had stated the MFG#, it is a hydrostatic, most likely a Vickers but could be a Sundstrand. I had a late style 7016 with the head lights inside the grill that had a Vickers hydro. I would say a little over priced for condition at $575 starting bid.

Sure enough, it says 7016 in the description. I didn't see it at first. What should I be looking for I decide to take a look at it? What concerns me immediately is the statement that it ran 10 months ago. What the heck, all tractors ran just before they died. All the guy has to do is install a battery and see if it runs. Sounds fishy to me.

Jumper cables will show you what you need to know. Briggs engine w/ good comp. when you spin it over should need the points cleaned and maybe the carb. cleaned and you should be up and running. The hydro should pull even on just the starter enough to check it out. Would be a nice companian to the 9020 and a whole step up from any 110 deere. Might be a little on the pricey side for here but where you are they may be scarce enough to bring that. For you it's probably worth watching awhile.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
It has to be a 1975 early System 7016 as the 3400 series in that style did not have a 16hp.
You must have forgotten about the 3416S and the 3416H.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
my mistake.
Better mark this down. On second thought Maynard, I think we can let this slide. It's not aften you miss anything.

Its a system 7016H from 1975. Mine have sunstrands in them, but there are reports of ones with vickers. They are nice tractors.

How can you tell Ambler? I mean, what physical characteristics does it have that distinquishes it from other 7000 series tractors?

the syestem 7000 series was only made one year 1975. You can tell by the head lights on the out side of the grill and the decals wrap over the hood with System 70xx in the decal. The 3400 series had the same headlights but the decals did not wrap over the hood. The late model 7000 series hade the headlights inside the grill.

quote:
Originally posted by Beeser
I noticed that the AC version of this tractor uses a Kohler engine instead of the B&S. Is one better than the other?
Personally, i like the kohlers better, they always start and always have the power for the job, the briggs, sometimes they start, and im constantly having carb troubles. i have rebult the carbs, new points condencer, still same problems. I've hardly ever had problems with a kohler, and the ones i've had were just simple fixes,. I think kohlers are Much more reliable,

Maynard - Thanks for the heads up. Very interesting that the System 7000 tractor was only made one year. Do you have any idea why. Also, did you happen to catch my other question about the different engines on Simplicity and AC versions?

Following is the interesting response received from the guy selling the tractor mentioned at the top of the post. I wanted to know if it was OK to stop by and try to start the tractor and generally inspect it. I will give you a money back warrantee if it doesn't run good after turned and fired up but no I don't want anyone working on equipment around here except me and I don't have time right now. Sorry, Roy

If this is close enough and he's giving you a money back warrantee then the price would be the only hold back.

quote:
Originally posted by firefoxz1
If this is close enough and he's giving you a money back warrantee then the price would be the only hold back.
What would a fair price be for the tractor?

Ad on e-bay is asking $575 and being sold as is.Personally think that is high for a machine that does not run.

FWIW,I bought the same tractor about 2 months ago for $100.00. A guy bought it at auction for $100,and I gave him his money back.Driveshaft was missing,but it fired right up,everything seems to work.