Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Free 212 John Deere

Ronald Hribar

Out of the blue, I was given a John Deere 212 with mower deck, snowblower, and a rototiller. It does have a Blown Kohler in it. I was also given a lawn roller. Second time in 3 months that I've had to deal with a kohler. I could say that I do not have that problem with my briggs. But right now I am not personaly running a Briggs.

Your dad was a wise man John, I have a yard full of 'stuff' to prove it:). Now so far as Ron's free tractor goes, thats different. Nice going Ron.

Ron that tractor will fetch some nice prices parted out. The fiberglass hood the snowblower etc. A couple years ago I bought a snowblower on E-bay for my 110, paid 151.00. Heck just goto e-bay type in john deere 212 and see what comes up. Humm just thinkin is this a 68 to mid 70's unit? James K.

I removed motor from the 212 yesterday. I wonder if I will ever get it back in. I bought an $80 rebuild kit off from E-Bay. The tractor has electric lift and appears to have variable drive. The tiller and snowblower are in Ill. And have to be picked up yet. The suggestion that I piecemeal it out sounds good to me. Wife told me yestreday you will have to start selling these.

If that's the case you may haf to run interferance for me when I head that way. She might have the 12 gauge welcome mat out for me. lol

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I removed motor from the 212 yesterday. I wonder if I will ever get it back in. I bought an $80 rebuild kit off from E-Bay. The tractor has electric lift and appears to have variable drive. The tiller and snowblower are in Ill. And have to be picked up yet. The suggestion that I piecemeal it out sounds good to me. Wife told me yestreday you will have to start selling these.
The tractor in running condition is worth $1000 on the bottom line with those attachments. You'll lose more in the time for disassembly than you will make. The 210, 212, 214, and 216 were all variable speeds, from the factory. The only model that wasn't was the 200 and 208, as those were designed to compete with Sears' offerings those years. I had the K-341 in my JD 300 rebuilt earlier this year for $300 out the door using all Kohler OEM parts. I plan to make the 300 my big working machine, since I have a plow, disc, cultivator, and hopefully soon a rear blade. Just have to find an integral hitch for it first. I've got a Cub 149 with an integral hitch that I got with the plows etc. but all I plan to do with it is put the rebuilt K-301 engine I have in and sell it with the deck and keep the plows and sell the integral hitch separately. Heck I'd consider trading even my Cub's integral hitch for a JD integral hitch to fit my 300.

I could get off my lazy a-- and go look. But can someone spare me the effort and tell me what the 212 has for a rear end and brakes. Ever since I seen the Struck I've been thinking about makeing one out of a garden tractor. Use the wheels and track off a skid steer.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I could get off my lazy a-- and go look. But can someone spare me the effort and tell me what the 212 has for a rear end and brakes. Ever since I seen the Struck I've been thinking about makeing one out of a garden tractor. Use the wheels and track off a skid steer.
It has a 4 speed with a granny low first (Dana unit IIRC) and of course the variable speed. Very desirable unit for tilling and plowing. Some guys like it for snow blowing too. Still others like them for competitive pulling. I had the chance to spend about 2 hours on a 214 yesterday and it was a blast. Very easy going machine.