Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repower a 7116H

xrisj

Has anyone repowered a 7116H? The guy I bought my tractor from told me that it had just been rebuilt, but I'm not sure. It's got a new head gasket in it, but seems to have a little valve chatter. Anyways, it's running, but I'm not sure how long it's got. I'd like to know if there are options for repower that don't require a lot of modifications. cj

The valves especially the exhaust can chatter indefinitely.I,m surprised it had to be rebuilt because they last forever.The carbs leave a little to be desired.

quote:
Originally posted by patrician12
The carbs leave a little to be desired.
Any advice on the carb would be appreciated.

I repowered my A-C 916H, which is the same as your 7116, except for the engine. I repowered it about 2 years ago with a Kohler Magnum 16hp. It worked out great with little alterations required. Sadly the "L" head single cylinders are pretty much extinct. If your tractor is in good shape, it may be worth looking into one of Al Eden's repower kit designed especially for this tractor. http://www.edensltd.com/repowereng/default.htm

Pull the head and examine valves and piston top. Put your new head gasket on and check compression. If new valves they may not have had the valve lash adjusted.

Great website. That's a lot of beer for a repower! $2100 seems high. I'm going to read my manual to see if there is infomation about valve adjustments.

I have $800 in in partial rebuild and the motor is nowhere as reliable as Al's. This is an engineered kit. I wish I went that route.

valve lash on a nonadjustable vavle engine? most you could do is either change valves, reseat them, grind em, and or polish em. And the chatter is also from the top plate, vibrating

RS07: I passed on the repower from Al Eden last year, partly because more than 2K will buy me another tractor or even a nice guitar, but also because the 7116 kits need the frame cut. The Sovereigns with Kohler engines and the 7117's already have this frame cut. On your 916H, is it the same frame as the 7116? Could you install the kohler Magnum 16 without cutting the frame? They're selling these engines on Northern Equipment for less than 1400. Could you tell us a bit about your repower project? Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by xrisj
Has anyone repowered a 7116H? The guy I bought my tractor from told me that it had just been rebuilt, but I'm not sure. It's got a new head gasket in it, but seems to have a little valve chatter. Anyways, it's running, but I'm not sure how long it's got. I'd like to know if there are options for repower that don't require a lot of modifications. cj
I wouln`t be to concerned about the valve chatter. I have two new (326431) 16hp Briggs engines and the valves chatter a little while idleing.