Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Used Briggs 15HP

firefoxz1

I picked up a used 15HP Briggs engine for a transplant into a 3410H and am wondering what can be checked before installing. I do not know if it runs as is (was not advertised as running) and was wondering if the coil(main concern) and other things can be checked before installation to keep me from pulling it back off because it doesn't run. I know the flywheel key will definitly be checked. What I have checked so far is: oil is clean and full, turned by hand and has compression(takes a little bit of pressure to get it over the hump) but don't know really how much. Will remove points and check those out. Main concern is coil readings and processes of checking.

You can crank it sitting on the floor if you put some jumper cables on it and supply some fuel. Most of the time I clamp it to something so it doesn't walk off from vibration. But idling it will let you see what it sounds like before instalation.

if you pull the base, and tilt it on its side, look inside and check if its clean..gears arent all chewed up, and thatll tell ya if its original or been rebuilt too. also recommend rtv high temp gasket stuff, put that on the base, set the motor back down, tighten the bolts, let it sit for a few mins, then clean up the excess with flat screwdriver or razor blade and a rag. wipe clean and that should also solve any future front end oil messes from operation later on.

After points and coil are checked and confirmed, with the plug out you might be able to spin it fast enough by hand to feel the spark, with the other hand. Crude but leaves no doubt of the spark. I 'd second what Dave said about clamping it down. I had one chase me around the porch one night because I forgot that.:D

I've started several that were just sitting in the floor of may garage. They didn't move much. Just make sure you have an easy way of shutting off the engine before you try this.

I built and engine test center out of spare parts. Made it so I can test horizontals, verticals, singles, twins, mag ignition and battery ignition all at the same station. heres a picture of the thing in progress.... [img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/0D/10/53092365-0353-0190018E-.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I built and engine test center out of spare parts. Made it so I can test horizontals, verticals, singles, twins, mag ignition and battery ignition all at the same station.
Looks like a real handy "gadget".... but then, you're the only person I know with a custom-made dead tractor retriever/hauler... :D I've usually just set the singles in an empty frame and then dropped a bolt down through one of the mounting holes to keep them from moving around too much...

Well, I found one thing so far. The crankcase breather is shot, disc is broke in it. Everything else seems fine so far. What I was realy looking for is multimeter test for the coil before installation. Thanks for the comments so far, and I have an extra frame so I may mount it up.