Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Coronet

B.Ikard

Gents, My 10 yr old daughter wants to cut the grass, and I am not comfortable with her on my old 7000/914 tractor so I saw this coronet on EBay within driving distance: http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-riding-mower_W0QQitemZ7718253643QQcategoryZ66761QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Looks like it has a bad hydro trans... 1. What make/model hydro did Simplicity use on these? 2. Any idea on what a new/used trans would cost? Is this model used in other machines too? I'm not real big on rear engine riders but it is small enough that she could handle it. ANy advice/ info would be appreciated Ike

I believe the Coronet has a Tuff-Torq tranny in them. If they had a catalog number (169***)listed on this mower I'd be able to tell for sure, by looking it up.

Not much advice on the tractor, but how did you get the 10 year old to volunteer to cut grass?!! Seriously My sister and I were mowing on a B-10 when we were at that age. I was trying to get mine ready so my 11 year old could learn to drive.

Randy, Both of the kids like to do stuff out in the yard and riding is a bonus I guess. I figured I would get a small one, easy to use that they could call their own with hydro with a few safety devices to see if the eagerness lasts thru the summer. I like the old snappers and they are tough as nails but the clutch thing might be a problem for a 4'6" 10 yr old. Drop by sometime & shoot the breeze, I am right off Cass White road Ike

A co-worker gave my 8-year-old son a JD 68, which is similar to the Coronet. Even with a clutch and no driving experience, he caught on right away. I'm keeping the belt off the mower for a while until he gets more seat time. He does pretty good with the lawn sweeper, though.

Hi, If it is an earlier one, it would have a Hydro Gear tranny. What is wrong with it. It is it just weak. Does it work fairly well and then get weaker warm? Get the 169xxxx model number. The earlier Hydro Gears had some problems, but I have yet to have to have a weak Tuff Torque. Al Eden

Al, I am still waiting for a reply from the seller, all I know is it has a 13 hp Kohler and is a 1996 build-is that enough to determine if it has a tuff torque hydro? Thanks, Ike