Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chainsaw won't start?

EricD

Not a problem, so long as the tree isn't too big or too hard. Pines are soft and the roots aren't too deep. Here's the shot of the approach [img]attach/ericd/051016101438.JPG[/img] Here's a look from the seat [img]attach/ericd/051016101516.JPG[/img] Directly following the push and down pressure. The bucket was not used to dig up root. I merely dropped it in the hole to keep the tractor from moving when I took the photo. [img]attach/ericd/051016101816.JPG[/img] You'll notice in this pic that the other pine that can be seen in the third photo is on the ground with the first pine. Once down, the machine pushed until they both broke about 3/4 the way up and kept on dozing. [img]attach/ericd/051016102140.JPG[/img] I'm really able to move a lot of material and am impressed with this little Struck. I'm clearing my back wooded area and being able to pop the smaller trees is a real time saver. I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer Struck at some point. I was having a problem with popping the master link locking clips on the primary drive chains (60H)because of roots and such. Now that I had a talk with each of them using the mig welder they know and keep thier places :)

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I get a kick out of using this. I have lost count how many times I've said something like "holy cow" to myself as it's pushed and pulled huge loads into and through piles already established. I have been considering wearing safety glasses and a hard hat just for a reason such as you mentioned John (falling branches, snapping debris). Before getting this I was so tired of breaking my garden tractors and getting them stuck trying to work them beyond capacity. It is such a satisfying feeling being able to tackle the bigger jobs and not end up stuck, broken or dissappointed. I used my Sears with front end loader to move my 20ft trailer tonight. The rear of the tractor was teetering as I drove/rolled along to position the trailer. I'm afraid to over-counter weigh it down because I've already snapped gears in two rear ends; and that's the kind of nonesense that I avoid with the more substantial machine. Thanks again for your thoughts.

quote:
Originally posted by EricD Before getting this I was so tired of breaking my garden tractors and getting them stuck trying to work them beyond capacity. It is such a satisfying feeling being able to tackle the bigger jobs and not end up stuck, broken or dissappointed. I used my Sears with front end loader to move my 20ft trailer tonight. The rear of the tractor was teetering as I drove/rolled along to position the trailer. I'm afraid to over-counter weigh it down because I've already snapped gears in two rear ends; and that's the kind of nonesense that I avoid with the more substantial machine. Thanks again for your thoughts.
I know exactly what you mean Eric... that's how/why I ended up with my Power Trac. I was asking too much from my smaller tractors and didn't want to destroy them with the size of the job I needed to do. I went one step farther -- I paid to have a "pro" haul in a dozer and an excavator to do some of the stuff you're doing -- on a larger scale. If you have a lot to do, you may want to consider that... Meanwhile, be VERY careful about things falling on you, or rolling that Struck... you may want to consider adding a ROPS/FOPS for it.

Be very careful if you try to push down a dead pine. the top will break out and fall toward the tractor every time. I know from experience. ouch!

When concidering a canopy, don't forget to add front uprights to it so if a tree snaps it won't come back and pin you against the back or take your head off. You would be surprised at the amount of energy a bent tree can store up. I've seen Oak trees fall the wrong way and pull the dozer's blade into the root base and roll the dozer right over also. BE Carefull. I've spent the afternon in the ER from a tree cracking me across the kidney.

• 2 weeks later...
The safety tips are appreciated and I'm glad to report no falling debris to teach me the lesson. I just aquired a newer machine that I'll be starting to assemble soon. I'll be bringing it home this Saturday. It has a loader and backhoe, hydrostatic drive, and a 25 HP Kohler. This one in the photos will be going up for sale once I get the other one up and operational.